Twitter took Gene X Hwang’s username and only offered him “some merch.”

• AToM.exe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That’s an exremly shitty thing to do. I don’t know how anyone can still be behind this company…

• Polar@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

While I agree, no one should be behind this shit company, it’s quite a standard thing to do.

Literally every social media platform has the ability to reset a users username so they can free it up. It happens all the time.

Are you famous enough? Cool, contact any company about taking over the username “Jake” and they’ll give you it. Doesn’t matter that the other dudes name is Jake. Doesn’t matter they had it first. Doesn’t matter that it isn’t a trademarked name.

• Art35ian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It didn’t work for Beyoncé. She tried to take the brand, Blu Ivy off an Australian company so her daughter could have it. Australia said get fucked.

An American wedding planner also had the name, and America told Beyoncé to get fucked too.

• GunnarRunnar@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not really that shitty in context with Musk’s everyday doings. I’m honestly not surprised at all.

If this was the worst of him, I’d be able to handle it (even though it indeed is a shitty thing to do and devalues Twitter handles [which is imo actually a good thing]).

• azdood85@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Musk’s everyday doings

Speaking of his everyday doings. Has anyone investigated all those underage illegal migrant children he has in his bathroom shower? Or was that just a rumor started on “the app formerly known as twitter”?

• Wondrous_Fairy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yep, totally not surprising in the least. Imagine if you’d built up a whole following around one handle and poof, it’s just gone. I think Musk got threatened by how stupid Huffman was being with Reddit and decided that the only way to be more stupid was to relabel the already flailing company.

• jocanib@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Not defending the thin-skinned rich kid but the tweeter formerly known as @X didn’t lose anything apart from the name. Anyone can change their @name on Twitter and keep the rest of the account intact. Twitter changed his @name so that they could change their @name. Nothing else changed on either account.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

So you’re not trying to belittle the fact that this guy has spent time with his X brand for a long time and now Musk is just stealing it because he feels like it? I mean, for someone who’s not defending the rich, you sure do put up a valiant effort. If anything, I hope someone’s trademarked X before Musk so they can sue him into oblivion for it and give him a taste of his own asshole medicine.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

No, the context to me is quite clear. You’re attempting to assauge critique via deflection. It’s like saying you shouldn’t be upset that someone took a shit in your house, because at least they had the good sense to leave afterwards instead of tracking it all over your carpet. I’m not buying it and nobody else is either. Give it up already.

• Maiznieks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Oh, boy, handle with few chars can be so expensive, let alone a single char. Musk is a stinky shit.

• gon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean, it’s their app. Sure it’s shitty, but at the end of the day it’s just a username. IDK. A minor inconvenience at most.

• fidodo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Nobody is debating that it’s legal. They’re within their rights but it’s unethical and extremely worrying since Elon’s stated goal is to make X the everything app for communication, payments, and whatever else. The fact that he’s more than happy to abuse his power just because he can makes the prospect of X growing horrifying. It would be an app where they own you and you own nothing.

• gon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I just see as a sign it’s never gonna work. Not under Elon, not X. He’s a megalomaniac idiot…

And I don’t see how it’s “unethical” either. It’s annoying, rude, stupid, ridiculous, shitty, sure. But unethical? They didn’t promise anything, they even gave some compensation even though they didn’t need to, right? Ethics isn’t even objective so I just don’t think that’s remotely meaningful, what ethical boundary are they overstepping? “To forcibly change someone’s social media handle is unethical”?

IDK, just don’t use Twitter!! I guess I just don’t see this as a big issue because I think Twitter is dumb, I suppose if you use the app a lot… IDK.

• fidodo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I don’t use Twitter, but the reason I think this is a bigger deal is because of the stated intention to expand it’s scope. Taking your account now means you can’t use a shitty social media app, but it would be a huge disruption if he pulls of what he wants and shows he’ll do things against his users interests if he feels like it. I won’t touch anything he makes with a 10 foot poll.