• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Again, the second panel is wrong. It was the guy in red’s solution.

It should say something like “Ok fine, lets go with your solution”

Can a meme issue a retraction?

• OpenStars@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It reminds me of when Dems floated a Supreme Court Justice nominee who Repubs had previously pushed forth. Obstructionism is the point. 😡

• PostingPenguin@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

The problem is sadly a bit more complicated. Thanks to the winner takes all system over in america a third party candidate has virtually no chance of being elected. Therefore if you want to counter a candidate you disagree with you have to necessarily vote for the most popular candidate that you can mildly agree with.

Some states have signed a pact to switch to ranked choice voting (i think new york and new hampshire are among them) which will help a lot with this problem on a state level. Only when most states adopt this it will matter on a national level.

Then and only then will it be viable to vote third party.

• Shake747@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Well good luck! This back and forth between two parties looks like it’s destroying your country through division.

The only ones seemingly coming out on top are the people in those parties and their corporate friends

• girsaysdoom@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

You’re not wrong but I think things have been much worse in the past few years thanks to trumpism and social media using destructive algorithms. I only see a future for the US if a non-GOP candidate wins.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Roughly 1/3rd (maybe slightly less) of the US population looks like it has the same feeling, but directed in the opposite direction.

Another 1/3rd feels the way you do, and the remaining 1/3rd doesn’t care to vote

Common ground then, I don’t think will be found with continuing this game of duopoly

You’re right though, that Trumpism era caused more divide, but there’s even more folks paying attention now thanks to that

All just my opinion as an outsider though, maybe I’m not seeing everything

• Danterious@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

This is sort of an open question to anyone listening.

How long do you think the US can keep the GOP out of winning the presidency if nothing changes politically?

In the past 100 years the longest a political party has held office has been two presidents. So even if Joe Biden wins this next election there is a high probability the Republicans will win eventually.

What happens then?

Edit: Corrected mistake.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

The downvotes are because of the “both sides” bullshit. It’s not because of a back and forth. One side is clearly much much better than the other. It’s very stark if you pay attention at all.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

So many downvotes, and so few willing to even speak up and say why.

Fwiw I think you are right, and moreover I am glad you have offered a civil conversation throughout.:-)

I have heard people ask the following question - though I have never heard of an answer (if you know I’d love to hear an answer): what country throughout history has ever survived devolving into a purely 2-party system? It has the effect that neither party actually needs to step up and DO anything, thus both devolve to simply slinging insults at the other one. e.g. Biden was elected b/c he was “not Trump”, and before that Trump was elected for being “not Clinton”. Obama was different, in his second term - many people had real hopes it seems, though Congress killed them all.

One of the worst parts of that effect is that it kills the desire to actually ACCOMPLISH any task at all, b/c when you do SOMETHING you can then be criticized for that. Whereas if all you do is halt what the other side is doing then you have succeeded at your objective (or like, at least you tried I suppose?).

Obstructionism kills governments. I legit doubt that democracy will survive in the USA, in another 10 years or so.

But yeah, I agree that if Biden wins, it will almost certainly be a Trump-blessed nominee who wins the next one. That said, there is a very non-negligible chance that Trump himself will personally win this one - some even say quite strong, if the poll numbers mean anything at all (debatable:-P). Like Clinton, some people may vote for the other side just to protest the situation of supporting Israel (never mind the fact that Trump would have supported them even harder).

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Ehh, this is Lemmy, I shower in downvotes here lol.

For your question about surviving two party systems - I don’t really know. From my understanding, this system is sort of a run off from British colonies and how their governments were setup. So I’m not sure if this is just a (relatively) modern issue that we need to overcome, or if it’s happened before.

Yeah the contrarian effect is real, and that’s part of the sluggishness of democracy. Dictatorships are horrible (obviously), but they can pivot on a dime compared to the democratic beaurocracy where there’s 1000 checks and balances for every decision that just have never ending opposition.

That’s part of why I was saying a third option might be a good choice here, because the two current political parties can’t agree on anything to make good changes happen, it’s almost in their benefit that it doesn’t. If they’re both making lots of money/connections for themselves while doing it, why change anything?

Maybe inserting more competition for these parties will help the people get their leaders to listen a bit more, and help mediate a middle ground to get shit done. Again, I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s a crazy idea

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

It’s only crazy because it’s not feasible. If we get rid of the winner take all voting systems, it would be a good change.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

A third choice would not only be good, but is mandatory for survival, as we are both saying. It’s just a matter of getting to there from here, but yeah totally. Or better yet, 5, 20, 50, even 200 - having real options would be great.

What I know about the history of democracy is that ancient Greeks tried it, but they had more of a “direct” democracy, whereas America used ideas by like French philosophers such as Locke. Note that at the time the USA was founded, England was still a strict monarchy. Then America’s success, later repeated in France, led to democracy spreading all over the globe, and at some point wrapping back around to the UK which despite retaining the monarchy at least introduced a Parliamentary system.

So now, many of the most successful nations on earth, like Germany, have some forms of democratization, which has refined and reimplemented the idea and put in different kinds of checks and balances… whereas the USA has left it mostly alone, so we are running on like Democracy 1.0, without the advantages of e.g. ranked choice voting that other nations use.

Some additional context to this discussion is that (a) Americans are really stupid. That sounds mean to say but, as one myself, it really is the biggest elephant in the room - like that’s not just an invective, it’s a diagnosis, and it terrifies me to say it, bc it’s true. And (b) also greedy and vindictive, but that relates back to the former, so mostly what’s important is © automation and globalization have changed things. The rich do not need factory workers, hence when COVID happened the plan was to just let them die. But also they don’t need many worker class people anymore either - which isn’t entirely true yet but is in the process of becoming more so all the time. Doctors? There’s an app for that. Artist? Song-writer? Billionaires such as Bezos and Musk do not see the value in supporting anyone else, and more important the millionaires who want to become billionaires want to pay lower taxes, no matter how much they benefit from them.

The USA, like many Western nations, seems to me to be coasting along on past successes, thus continues to succeed now bc that’s just how things work, but in spite of our current systems not because of them.

To reiterate: it literally does not matter what system of governance would be “best” - facts have little to nothing whatsoever to do with this conversation, where misinformation reigns king.:-( We are like those zombie animals that have been taken over by a parasitic fungus or some such (I mean the irl kind, but the movie versions work just as well), where we no longer act according to our best interests, but instead to whoever is pulling the strings now, behind the scenes.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

I can think of two Dems that were doing such, b/c otherwise the Dems would have had the majority a couple years ago.

Well actually, no - you’re still right - b/c it’s different shit, not the same type of shit that Repubs are doing.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Not the Dems

Ah yes. “Not the Dems”. The “Not the Dems” who gave us Trump by insisting we had to accept Hillary. The “Not the Dems” who delivered us Kavanaugh because ‘RBG was a GIRL-BOSS’! The “Not the Dems” who just risked passing the most draconian border policy of all time. The “Not the Dems” who refused any kind of real primary on Biden because ‘solidarity’, seemingly to the effect of ensuring Trump will win the election. The “Not the Dems” who have supported the genocide of the Palestinian people, only ‘slightly’ reacting to this after the entire country has been effectively reduced to gravel. Those “Not the Dems”.

• aew360@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

Oh shut the fuck up. If Dems weren’t being obstructed by the GOP, we wouldn’t have most of the issues we have. Why don’t we ensure the GOP stays down and then you can work on reforming the Democratic Party.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Fight me then. Republicans wouldn’t have been able to make as much progress on their agenda as they have if not for the Democrats.

They refuse to fight. They contort their policies for the purposes of appeasement.

They are the fucking problem and your denial of that is an even larger problem.

• BReel@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

“It’s your fault your house burned down, because you didn’t stop me from burning it down”

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Sounds like you’re not American so you don’t understand why we have a two party system. Essentially, because of the way our votes are counted, we can only ever have two parties. Any 3rd party votes are just a throwaway.

• theodewere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

they’re all ignorant screaming children just like their hero Trump… ignorant and hateful…

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

They want to be mad, but more importantly they want Biden to fail more than they want to solve anything at all

• hark@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I mean, that’s how republicans get what they want. Why are democrats trying so hard to work with republicans? All they end up doing is compromising while republicans get everything they want. Then when republicans are in power, democrats go along because “decorum” or whatever, but if the democrats would obstruct and pull every dirty trick like the republicans, then things wouldn’t have gotten this bad.

• ZeroTHM@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Because that’s the goal, their strategy is working as intended. The Dems don’t want something different from the Reps, they just want to be able to feign being opposed so that they can claim the moral high ground. It looks like a token effort because it is.

• AaronMaria@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

There is usually no actual problem that Republicans are mad at. Also what makes the Democrats better is they are creating less new actual problems. They don’t solve problems very often, either.

• Euphorazine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

The right puts up a razor wire fence along a border town, the left demands they take it down, meanwhile 2 miles upriver is a passable point with no fence at all, yet the show must go on.

• Sprokes@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Why dems decided to push that bill now? They know it won’t pass?

• Mycatiskai@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

They tied a border bill to a Ukrainian and Israeli aid package.

Edit to add: Biden failed by going with the Republican narrative about the border. He admitted that there was a “crisis” that needed to be fixed and then failed to pass it, now come election time it is a choice between the Democrat who couldn’t pass a border package with the Republican politicians or a Republican who will be able to pass legislation to make the border much worse for people trying to cross.

This is America’s fault for destabilizing the South American countries for so long that people who want a safe life have to leave their home countries to take a treacherous journey hoping to live in the USA.

• Marcbmann@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

They just want to Biden to use the power he already has to protect the border. No concessions are needed for him to do his literal fucking job