• little_niggle@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    vor 1 Jahr

I’m going to be honest, the whole blackout seemed pretty ineffective.

Also lmao at people complaining about the UI of Lemmy - did they fully expect a finished polished website to just be ready for us to migrate to?

• sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      vor 1 Jahr

A 2 day blackout was never going to do anything. I’m a little disappointed that we (r/gunners) aren’t extending it indefinitely. But it seemed like there wasn’t quite enough popular support for it.

And yeah, that’s a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Turns out it costs time and money to build a site like reddit. Although honestly, most of the features that I personally miss are from apps like Reddit is fun or RES. Not so much from the main Reddit interface.

• throbbingpens@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      vor 1 Jahr

I ended up getting a tildes.net invite too. The UI is a lot more polished over there. But the devs are being really cautious with managing user load, so it’s not public/open yet.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        vor 1 Jahr

They’re also dynamically adding communities (the idea is that people will post to, say, sports.gunners and then once that gets popular enough it would get split off into its own community), which is a good idea, but it’s nice to be able to make your own from the get-go.

• I_am_the_grass@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          vor 1 Jahr

I think it’s a smart way to manage scaling your site but I think what made Reddit unique (and what Lemmy is replicating) is the ability to create your own little bubble in the world no matter how niche. I was aware of Tildes and still chose Lemmy instead for that reason.

Honestly, I’m starting to prefer the smaller community here on /c/gunners even compared to /r/gunners. Feels a little more personal.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            vor 1 Jahr

I signed up for Tildes, Kbin, and Lemmy but that’s just because I wanted to be on the trains early. I don’t mind Tildes for general discussion (i.e. what video games are you playing or what’s your opinion about this world event) but I don’t think I’d enjoy talking about something that only affects us (Pepe being sold) on Tildes. I’m glad we have some semblance of options post-exodus.

As to your last point, I’m liking it a lot too, perhaps because there’s a smaller percentage of lurkers? There’s such a small population we all have to pitch in to get anywhere near what r/gunners was like. At least that’s my theory.