This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/ConsistentFuture5130 on 2023-07-26 18:55:48.

We have a funeral to attend and I (f45) asked my daughter (f19) what she’s going to wear. She showed me her outfit. Black tights with black flats, black sweater and a black dress. The dress was fine at first glance, it was up to her neck and knee length. However, it’s backless. Not fully. Kind of from the bra line to her waist, there’s a gap where skin I see showing. I told her she was absolutely to not wear it as it’s inappropriate.

She said, it is fine and that’s why she has the black sweater as it’s going to be cold and she wouldn’t remove it even if she’s warm. Sure, with the sweater in, you could never tell but I told her it’s not appropriate and she’ll embarrass me. She said tough luck and that’s what she’s wearing.

I said she’s not and she’s not allowed to go. She can’t currently drive because she’s got a twisted ankle thus I’m picking her up and driving her and she has no one else to do it. I told her, I will not drive her half naked to a funeral and she told me I was mean and doesn’t answer my phone all she now.

I told my sisters about this, and one agrees with me, and the other (the one who plays the “cool” aunt) agrees with my kid and told me I was the asshole. Was I really the asshole. At this point I’m not sure anymore. TEchnically she’ll be covered but it’s still inappropriate. AITA?