• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In a motion to compel that was filed last month, movie companies Voltage Holdings and Screen Media Ventures argued that “Reddit users do not have a recognized privacy interest in their IP addresses.”

But in Wednesday’s ruling, US Magistrate Judge Thomas Hixson said, “The Court finds no reason to believe provision of an IP address is not unmasking subject to First Amendment scrutiny.”

Voltage Holdings and Screen Media Ventures previously sued the Internet service provider Frontier Communications, alleging that it is liable for its users’ copyright infringement.

The fact that movie companies only sought IP addresses instead of names this time around wasn’t enough to sway the court.

As in the previous cases, the movie companies “cannot show that the information they seek here is unavailable from other sources,” Hixson wrote.

Voltage Holdings and Screen Media Ventures cited Reddit posts in which users say that Frontier didn’t terminate their Internet service despite sending many copyright infringement notices about torrent downloads.

The original article contains 598 words, the summary contains 160 words. Saved 73%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!