Why should you try Linux? This is why.

• i5-2520M@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hate articles like this, so let’s go through it.

• 1: Fair, but it undermines how much you can tune Windows and MacOS, they are not nearly as set in stone as people think.
    • 2: Completely true and based.
    • 3: There is a Linux way of doing things, and there are many things that follow from that, like not being able to do advanced admin task without a command line, unlike on Windows. Lock-in also refers more to stuff like hardware lock in for MacOS not just the OS not having an option to change something.
    • 4: Kinda fair, if you use the right distro with the right settings, but in my experience you still have to reboot semi-often.
    • 5: I don’t get this one, Wine is on MacOS and Windows has WSL(g), so I don’t see how you are ahead on Linux at all.
    • 6: This is kinda dumb kinda not dumb, Ignores the AppStore, WinStore, winget and other tools common on these OSs.
    • 7: Ok, I’m good on this. People have some pretty sick Wallpaper engine and raindrop setups on Windows as well.
    • 8: Nah, I don’t know what you are talking about there mate. based on my last few install sessions for laptops there are plenty of stuff that is glitchy as all hell.