Two thoughts on this meme - self-reliance is necessary, and self-reliance is not sufficient, because if capitalism destroys the climate your homestead goes with it.

• j_roby@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I think you’re missing my point.

Middlemen merchants and international shipping are things that regular folk have absolutely no control over. And if those things go away, whether that be due to a pandemic or a CEO deciding it’s just not profitable, those who rely entirely on that are fucked.

Having at least a bit of knowledge on how to sustain yourself, even if it’s not a 100% self-reliant, will only be a net positive

• JohnDClay@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

If it’s not a monopoly, we (in aggregate) do have control over them, since they still need our money to operate. But that is one reason why monopolies need to be crushed or heavy regulated, so that they can’t have life and death control like you are mentioning.

• JohnDClay@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I think it’s net negative because of the amount of time and money you’d need to invest for a very low probability event. It’s like the preper mindset. I can add a lot of positive specializing in my field that I wouldn’t be able to if I also trained myself in society collapse self sufficiency.