Two thoughts on this meme - self-reliance is necessary, and self-reliance is not sufficient, because if capitalism destroys the climate your homestead goes with it.

• Alto@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 个月前

You may not. I personally don’t either. Doesn’t change the fact that some people do, for a wide variety of reasons, and that’s fine.

• JohnDClay@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 个月前

The post said it was necessary though. I’m fine with people working on self reliance if it makes them feel more secure, or just if they enjoy it or it gives them fulfillment. But I think relying on the social web of connections and commerce is fine.

• Alto@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 个月前

I don’t think OP was meaning you have to be 100% self sufficient. I interpreted it more that you need community but you also need to know how to take care of yourself. How are you going to help your community if you can’t help yourself. How is your community going to help you if they don’t know how to do things. Local supply chains doesn’t mean you’re producing everything, it means it’s coming from your community. Thats exactly how an untold amount of people survived the depression, communities banding together and taking care of each other.

Most homesteaders help our their neighbors if it’s needed, and will receive help when they need it. They’re not 100% isolated on their own.

E: Why’re y’all downvoting that guy. Not like they were being a dick or anything.