• DaughterOfMars@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You make my point so eloquently. You take it as a matter of fact that Evolution exists, despite never actually validating this yourself. It is, in your eyes, ridiculous to think that it doesn’t exist – after all, you were taught that it does in school. But before the 19th century the theory of Evolution didn’t even exist. Probably some speculated about it, but were not taken seriously. Yet you have fully accepted it without, as you say, seeing it.

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Yea, that doesn’t prove anything. There’s countless research and information documenting evolution happening over time. Hell there are some cases of it noticeably happening as well. There is no information about these "ufo"s outside of what is mentioned here. No data that’s currently available to back it up and nothing to prove that this person coming forward isn’t being told incorrect information themselves. The likelihood of something like this is so statistically low that nobody should be taking it at face value without verifiable proof. “Trust me bro” is not, never has been and never will be good enough scientifically.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Do you think, then, that we should reverse any decisions made purely on witness testimony? Grusch spent four years investigating this in his official position and is testifying under oath that he has seen incontrovertible evidence of it. That IS proof, and about as damn good testimony as we’ve ever had in our history.

But look, I know you’re not going to change your mind, because you are as inflexible in your beliefs as a brick. I’m only making a point here because other, more mature folks may happen upon it and I want them to know how much of a mongoloid you are for coming into a UFO community just to fart out your brain-dead, parroted opinion for us all to ruminate in.

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Lol, I couldn’t care less about the insults of someone lacking critical thinking skills who upon being called out for lack of scientific knowledge tries to act intelligent without even understanding the concepts you are trying to talk about. If they provide actual evidence I will believe it. Until then I’m not buying it. You are free to continue believing anyone who makes am unsubstantiated claim before any evidence is provided. Oh, and I know a saying that you should really take to heart. “It’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove you are.” Just a little friendly advice, hope it was eloquent enough for you to understand :)

• Ranolden@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Do you think, then, that we should reverse any decisions made purely on witness testimony?

Yes. Eyewitness testimony alone shouldn’t be enough to convict anyone.

• Platomus@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

That wasn’t just eye witness testimony…

You’re really really bad at this.

And it’s a bad comparison: “Did this guy rape women? Something that has happened before?” Compared to “These guys are saying they once say aliens.” Something that has never been (truthfully) documented before.

• Kellamity@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

‘Mongoloid’ is a slur - it was once used to refer to people with Down Syndrome, due to a C19th doctor comparing physical features of Down Syndrome parients with those of Mongolian people.

This doctor wrote that Down Syndrome was a reversion to an ‘inferior race’.

It is both racist and ablist :/

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

I hear you, but to be completely honest almost all of our “insult” words and phrases are derived from pretty abhorrent places. There’s really no point in substituting one for the other when you’re trying to tell someone you think they are stupid.

• IphtashuFitz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

We don’t need to validate that it exists because science has proven it over and over countless times.

Have you ever validated for yourself that an element like lithium exists?

Have you ever validated for yourself that nuclear fission exists?

Have you ever validated for yourself that E=mc^2?

Have you ever validated for yourself that antibiotics like penicillin actually do what they purport to do?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Nope, but I don’t go around pretending I have. You see, unlike you I am open to changing my opinion based on evidence.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

No, it means “I am going to dismiss any and all evidence until such a time as it satisfies my definition of believable.”

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I’m glad we agree, because the problem is that it’s hypocritical. There is a double standard for the quality of evidence that you deem acceptable between this topic and most others. You believe many things despite never seeing physical evidence or based only on the testimony of others, because those topics fit into your current world view. You have subconsciously created a filter for yourself of your biases, and you now refuse to acknowledge them.

• Platomus@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    11 months ago

That’s not at all what’s happening.

What’s the evidence of the aliens?

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Not to mention your example is extremely flawed. Evolution usually happens over long periods of time and you can only see the results of it. What they are claiming is something physical that you can see and touch and acquire physical proof of. It’s not even remotely the same.