• Exaggeration207@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think there are two main reasons why Nintendo is so aggressive about their IPs.

1. Concerns over missing out on future revenue. Nintendo doesn’t have anything close to a complete back catalog in their Virtual Console, nor do they consistently offer other good options to purchase old games. However, they want to leave the door open to offering that in the future. Emulation, in their view, “robs” them of that possibility. They feel that since they own these games, they should have control over which ones are made available and how, and the only option for fans to get them should be to go through them. If emulators are easy to find on a platform like Steam, people new to gaming might assume the emulators are endorsed by Nintendo, which irks them because they don’t get any sales revenue from that. If they bring Nintendo games to Steam-- and that’s a huge if-- they want Valve to pay through the nose for them.

2. Protecting the integrity of their original characters. Pokémon is the example I’m most familiar with, so I’ll go with that one: Nintendo is uncomfortable with fan games and even the “Nuzlocke” fan challenge, where Pokémon are described as dying in battle instead of fainting. They want Pokémon to be seen as a family-friendly, all-ages franchise, and rom hacks take away that creative control. Additionally, Nintendo has no control over what kinds of websites host roms for download, and they certainly don’t want most of these websites to be associated with their brand. Like with emulators on Steam, people unfamiliar with this issue might assume Nintendo tacitly endorses distribution of all sorts of roms that don’t have that classic Nintendo seal of approval.

• Exaggeration207@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

LOL, that’s being generous! The optimization of Pokémon Scarlet/Violet was atrocious. Especially when the game was built exclusively for Switch and we see what the system is capable of in Tears of the Kingdom. Unfortunately, even though the quality is not there, the sales are. Despite its issues, S/V sold a ton of copies worldwide and it’s hard to argue with those results when you’re talking to a profit driven corporation.

I heard something about Game Freak working on a new IP though… maybe if we’re lucky, they’ll get sick of making an endless stream of Pokémon games and they’ll hand the franchise to a developer who will give it some much-needed love.