----SOLVED----

Thank you to everybody for your assistance. I managed to get to where I wanted thanks to instructions provided by @dual_sport_dork

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Not sure if anyone can help me here. I am pretty lost and confused and wouldn’t mind if someone could ELI5 something for me.

I’ve never used a real CAD software before yesterday night and I’m struggling a bit, I tried googling things but it’s just sending me deeper into a rabbit hole of things I do not understand yet.

I’m trying to make this speaker enclosure I’ve seen just to do something with this shitty bluetooth speaker I have, so I decided to recreate the enclosure myself.

Long story short, I realized I kinda screwed myself after disassembling the bluetooth speaker and now I need to make a 2mm deep pocket on top of the case to snap in the buttons module. I don’t really feel like starting the design again from scratch.

Anyway, as you can see in the attached image, I need to make a big round pocket on top, but both side panels are separate bodies so my pocket only goes through the main body and ignores the 2 other bodies.

I can think of other ways to achieve what I want but I’d really like to figure out a way to do it from where I am right now, if possible. I’ve seen the term shape binder and “union” in my searches but I can’t quite figure it out.

Thank you to anyone who bothered reading this lol

EDIT: For anyone who might see this and is curious about how the enclosure is performing, I finished printing the main body and assembled it to test. Am still missing the side panels and I have to design some kind of flange cover for the driver but here’s what I got so far:

Ratchet speaker enclosure test

• Betch@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Oh, I actually got it working now using @dual_sport_dork’s instructions but I will save your comment because that is probably the better way to do things. I’m sure I’ll encounter the need for it soon enough hahah. Thank you!

• fluxx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

There is indeed multiple ways of doing anything in freecad. But over time, I prefer staying in Part design as much as possible as this makes it more modifiable and customizable and there are plenty of reasons more for me. But in the end - whatever works is good enough.

• Betch@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yeah I will keep that in mind for future parts I make. For now though since this is my first time using CAD software I’ll stick with good enough hahah