• Primarily0617@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

apologist

“both sides were as bad as each other” is very obviously a stance in defence of the nazis, so i don’t know what you think “apologist” means

• MeetInPotatoes@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Good thing I never fucking said that and would never agree with the statement. The point of the comic is that our lack of perspective taking and dehumanization of others enables terrible atrocities. That factor of dehumanizing propaganda exists on both sides but I’m not taking the comic so far as to equate us to the Nazis (again, not who we nuked in the first place) That’s obviously a gross oversimplification.

You’d get more from the comic if you put Germany and Japan on the left. The mechanic of dehumanization oscillated out of control until we felt justified wiping out entire cities of Japanese. But if you’re the one responsible for the atomic bomb, the atrocities of foreign soldiers would likely give you little peace as your invention vaporized kids in playgrounds…and babies in strollers and wombs…mothers who just wanted this stupid war to be over so their husband could come home and they could raise a family.

Next time, just ask a question before putting your dumbfuck words in someone else’s mouth to justify calling them Nazi apologists.

“Are you saying both sides were as bad as each other ?” No, of course not. “Oh, my bad.”

^ That’s how this should’ve went.

• Primarily0617@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

so you just don’t understand the implications of the original message you posted?

otherwise please reply with a justification of how:

• Nazi propaganda that sought to justify the holocaust was equivalent to allied propaganda
        • Nazi censorship of truth that aimed to hide their death camps from the world was equivalent to allied censorship of truth
        • The Nazi’s wicked despot who was quite literally Hitler was equivalent to any leading figure on the allied side
        • etc.

you made an incredibly silly argument, but the even sillier thing to do right now is to stand by it

just ask a question before putting your dumbfuck words in someone else’s mouth

you not understanding the implications of your own argument isn’t my problem, friend