Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, got one, etc.

I had been eyeing the Revopoint brand but keep hesitating on buying. I don’t know anyone that has one and really would like to get more feedback. The Amazon reviews seem decent enough.

I am looking for something that can scan objects about hand size or larger and that I can walk around the object scanning. I don’t want to be limited to sticking the object on a scanning mat or turntable. I’m not going to be scanning minis (eg Warhammer). I do use the iOS and OSX platforms.

• mrfusion2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Most phone apps likely won’t reach the quality of a standalone scanner for a variety of reasons. For instance, a lot of the ones I’ve played with don’t optimize the shutter speed, which can wreck havoc when some captures contain motion blur.

That said, have you tried the free 3d Scanner App yet for iOS? Yes, you may need to clean up your scans like any other phone app, but since it also lets you use the front-facing TrueDepth sensor as well as the rear, it can return a pretty darn good scan when it can combine that TrueDepth data with the usual photogrammetry point cloud. Plus, it’s got a bunch of post-processing tools to modify your scans afterwards, like cropping out extraneous elements using a box or a sphere, selecting mesh pieces to remove/retain, etc. It’ll also export to SketchFab as well as your usual 3d printable file formats.

And no, I’m not affiliated with it; I’m just a happy user who was able to successfully use it to 3d print my doggo sleeping as well as scan some gallery exhibits.