Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, got one, etc.

I had been eyeing the Revopoint brand but keep hesitating on buying. I don’t know anyone that has one and really would like to get more feedback. The Amazon reviews seem decent enough.

I am looking for something that can scan objects about hand size or larger and that I can walk around the object scanning. I don’t want to be limited to sticking the object on a scanning mat or turntable. I’m not going to be scanning minis (eg Warhammer). I do use the iOS and OSX platforms.

• ZytaZiouZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Have you tried the reality scan app by Epic games? I did not get great results from the one scan I tried, but I’ve seen really good scans, and it doesn’t care how fast you go or what direction.

That being said, as long as the revopoint keeps tracking: no errors. The only times I’ve had it lose tracking were when scanning a 1 2 3 block without spray (shiny metal) and when trying to scan my car dash in a fairly dark garage (high gloss black). For anything shiny and maybe very dark, you need spray of some sort; either the purpose made stuff or talc free foot spray.

The meshes can vary from mostly smooth with some bumps to kind of having a fish scale effect, but the later is from over scanning. Apparently you should always scan either one rotation on the table or only roughly 300 frames at a time for the cleanest result. You can convince as many scans as you want though. As I said below I’ll screenshots of my results later tonight.

For 6" objects the POP line is perfect. For people or people sized objects the Range looks significantly better, but the range might struggle with 6" objects. I guess it’s pretty common for people who get into 3d scanning to have multiple scanners based on what size you are scanning. The POP 2 can scan people, but you have to move a maybe 5x5 or 6x6 “window” around them to get all the detail. The Range had a significant larger view/window to scan people much much faster. The faster you can scan the less likely it is to lose tracking.``

• Erasmus@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for the feedback! I might look into this line some more.

I have not had any issues with anything shiny with any apps so far. Perhaps it has just been what I have been scanning? Everything has been either dull objects or flat painted, etc but I will keep that in mind.