• ghost_laptop@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

How is a country going to end encryption worldwide? The West okay, bu what jurisdiction do they have over me?

• happyhippo@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That’s what I also fail to grasp.

If things get serious and for example the WhatsApp, Telegram and Signals of the world have to disable e2ee to keep operating in the UK, I guess they could just leave that market before compromising data privacy of their users worldwide.

I don’t see this “ending encryption worldwide” thingy happening, at all.

But they could dig themselves a deeper hole after Brexit, that’s definitely possible and wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

• ghost_laptop@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Or ship specific versions of their software for the UK, as it is done with other software in other countries with restrictions.

• perezoso@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

A lot of them have already said they’d withdraw (facetime, iMessage, signal, WhatsApp included).

• seasonone@opidea.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Just make a list how many companies tech companies operate from west. All those companies have to follow the law of the homeland.

• ghost_laptop@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Sure, but most of those companies didn’t even care much about privacy any way. How would this affect Matrix for example?

• f314@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Apple have already said they will shut down iMessage support in the UK if the bill passes.

• seasonone@opidea.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

this cryptographer working thing which will affect quantum computing, blockchain and integration of data. I don’t know much about Matrix so I can’t comment on that.

• Shikadi@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

What I meant is, I literally don’t know where you live, so I don’t know why it doesn’t impact you “outside the west”