link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

self driving cars would basically be more comfortable and also more expensive public transport.

i for one like to control when i go where at what speed, at which interior temperature, at a great increase in comfort, with a good deal more privacy and in a vehicle i own.

a coexistence of public and private transport to fit everyone’s needs and demands would be ideal, but another culture war seems likelier.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

The roadway is shared by multiple parties. Right now in the US its 99% car preference, 1% all other options.

If we can add real mass transit and a pedestrian first footpath model like the netherlands, I think everyone can be happy. They still very much have cars, they are simply not the priority. People are. Youre still free to drive, its just generally less efficient than ever other means of transit. The above is demonstratively a more efficient/ecological/healthy/economical system than what the US does, which is dump endless trillions into car asphalt and fuel subsidies.

If you can agree that cars should be a part of but not the primary means of transportation, then there likely won’t be any problem.

• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

sure, i would love universal seperate bike lanes on roads here in germany. the fahrradschutzstreifen seems really unsafe.

i have no problem with people wanting to save money and trying to be as ecological as possible by using public transport and riding their bike.

but it feels like i’m being attacked for driving a small, comfortable, fuel efficient car. i understand why people living in city centres got used to cars not being around, but you don’t solve climate crises by screaming “ban cars!” from every rooftop. that’s not gonna make people want to engage, because so many people like driving cars.