• PonyOfWar@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I guess it’s just too irrelevant in Europe to be actively regulated by the EU. I don’t know a single person using iMessage.

• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

we use it at my company to share small files and information between company ipads and iphones, but it’s literally irrelevant. we could’ve just used the whatsapp app (if there was one for ipadOS).

signal FTW, i use it wherever possible. (i don’t see convincing 11 colleagues, at least 5 of which are apple cultists to be possible)

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The Commission also opted against designating Microsoft’s Edge browser, Bing search engine, and advertising business as core platform services.

Although it designated Apple’s App Store, Safari browser, and iOS operating system as core platform services, it held off on making a final decision on iMessage until an investigation could be completed.

Although iMessage has avoided the burden of complying with rules that comes with the official DMA designation, the period of regulatory scrutiny coincided with Apple announcing support for the cross-platform RCS messaging standard on iPhones, which Google has been pushing for.

Apple has made it clear that it’ll support the cross-platform standard alongside iMessage; it’s not replacing the company’s proprietary messaging service.

Apple’s Safari browser, iOS operating system, and App Store still have to comply with the regulation’s strictest requirements when DMA comes fully into force on March 7th.

Apple recently announced a range of changes it’s making to comply with the regulation, which include allowing alternative app stores and browser engines other than WebKit.

The original article contains 567 words, the summary contains 166 words. Saved 71%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!