Tesla was so swamped with complaints about driving ranges that it created a secret team to cancel owners’ service appointments, source says::To suppress the volume of complaints the automaker created a secret “Diversion Team” in Las Vegas to cancel appointments, Reuters reported.

• Enigma@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Hasn’t it been proven that the range can go longer but Tesla caps it? I remember during a hurricane Tesla said it was extending the range so drivers can make it out.

• TweetyDaBird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That’s not he projected range shown on the display. That’s the actual range the battery will give you.

They temporarily removed a bit of the safety margin built in to reduce battery wear, allowing people to get out of harms way without a stop to charge if they were on the limit. But only for people moving away from The affected area, etc. so smart and helpful.

• agitatedpotato@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I dislike both Tesla and Musk but as an automotive company I’d wager they have good safety factors on at least most of their engineering, so for example in the name of keeping the battery from degrading too fast the tesla probably stops drawing power from the battery when the battery voltage drops to a certian number. The safety factor just means that the number it shuts off at is likely a good bit before the batrery would theoretically start to take damage.

I can’t find any other reason they would intentionally keep range off the product, because its not like they selling a solution to it. So I assume they probably just lowered the voltage at which the Tesla stops drawing power because getting stuck in the hurricane was obviously more dangerous. I could be wrong though, this is just from my expirences with bateries in engineering applications.