So on another OSR Resource I was asked about alternative magic systems for OSR Games

Long ago Conrad and Red of Spacegamer and Better Games wrote Conrad’s Fantasy because some TSR Lawyers were questioning which games system the adventures they were selling where for.

So Conrad rushed up stairs to his hotel room and wrote HUGO which was later changed and expanded to become Conrad’s Fantasy. He didn’t have time to write a balanced and carefully crafted spell list. So he just made rules and laws for casting spells.

This lead me to some years later running a top secret game for TSR Staff. During this game a pc lassoed the moon with a magic lasso. Pulled it down to earth with Titan Strength. The rest of the party climbed aboard. I want to say this happened in 1993 it may have been 94.

Six Basic Laws of the Universe - Fantasy Game Setting

Law I - Force flows through fixed channels in only one direction.

Law II - Everything has a fixed identity whether it is fire, earth, water, or air. Earth cannot be like water and still be earth.

Law III Everything has spirit which matches its identity.

Law IV -All Planes of existence are separate and distinct.

Law V The mind is controlled by the spirit.

Law VI Something are not understood except what is, is and what has happened, has happened.

Magic is the force by which the laws can be broken. The magic user combines mystical forces to break the laws.

Break a law and face the law enforcers. Most common of which is the Zaires - Powerful Wizards who tirelessly work to see the laws are held together. Least reality collapse. They fear to many who lack training and understanding to wield magic. This will result in destruction of the universe.

Easiest way to do this in an OSR Game is to steal from Lavender Hacks Resolution System

Nat 20+ Critical Success

18+ Strong Success

8+ Weak Success

7 or less Miss

Nat 1 Critical Miss / Fumble

So only give Magic Users Spell Points at Level 1

1 point to break one Law - some magic attempts may require breaking multiple laws (up to Game Master / Ref to determine).

Additional Magic Points +1 for every point spent. up to max of +4

Say the Magic User at Level 1 gets 3pts + Int Bonus. Then +2 per level gained

As for time - Every 2pts spent equals a round of combat

Interuption of spell casting - Forcess a Save vs Magic to the Spell Caster or suffer 1d4 per spell point spent (this can be used for critical failures as well).

Recovery of Points - 1pt a day + Int Bonus

• fredzBXGame@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Of course you can steal from White Wolf and have 2 types of Magic Free Form True Magic and Vancian (make the spells weaker) Hedge Magic

You see this in Fantasy Literature as the Hedge Mage vs the True Mage.

• Hexed Press@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Can you describe Law I a bit more? Also, got any practical examples of spell-casting that used this system?

• fredzBXGame@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Law 1 would cover say Gravity

example - my wizard will make the 4 orcs levitate high up in the air. 1pt to break Law 1 and then 4 more points for the 4 orcs. Then spend 1 more point for +1 on the roll. Level 1 Wizard so that is 3pts. 18 Int so that is +3 pts. - got the 6 pts for the spell. The GM reminds the player that every 2pts spent = 1 combat round. So your Wizard is chanelling the magic and chanting in deep meditation for 3 rounds. Someone needs to keep those Orcs off you for those 3 rounds. So the start of 3rd round, during the magic phase the player rolls - gets a 17 but has the +1 for 18. Strong Sucess the orcs levitate high up in the air. How long was not specified so just roll me a d6 for many rounds. Then gravity returns and they come falling down.

Not done yet. You broke a Law of the Universe - Roll a d20 under your Wisdom to see if you know how to appease the gods or get away with this. If you fail on a even dice roll a Zaire shows up on uneven roll a Paradox Effect in d12 days will occur with you as the nexus point. The Universe must be Repaired. So if you get the Paradox Effect. You should have a few days to make amends and cancel it out. I would suggest reaching out to a Zaire and begging for mercy.

• fredzBXGame@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Sure Example would be Gravity makes things fall down.

My Wizard breaks law 1 with meditation and chanting. Chanelling the magic around to levitate the four Orcs 1 pt to break the law and 4pts for the 4 targets. say 1 more for a +1 on the roll. Total 6 pts of Magic - 18int for +3 pts and 3pts at Level 1 for 6 pts. But remember it is 2 pts a combat round so this take 3 rounds to do.

So up to someone else to keep them busy till the spell goes off