• tuckerm@supermeter.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Always sucks to have more tech layoffs.

The article mentions they’re “decreasing their investment” in Firefox Relay, which is a service for creating burner email addresses that get forwarded to your real email address. It’s honestly the best spam-prevention method I’ve ever used. If Mozilla decides to axe that project, I hope the Thunderbird team can somehow pick it up. Seems like it could be an opportunity for some recurring income for them.

• Hirom@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Firefox Monitor is great as well. The premium version looks nice, you can pay to have it go remove your data from many data brokers. It seems mostly focused on US brokers, I’d pay for it worked with more european data collection companies.

• hedge@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I like and use Relay as well. Probably a very naive thought, but couldn’t Mozilla just ask for donations the way Wikipedia does?

• tuckerm@supermeter.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them ask for donations as visibly as Wikipedia does. Sometimes there’s a small banner at the top of their website with a donate button. Currently, if you go to https://mozilla.org and scroll all the way down, there’s a “Donate” link in their footer.

Seems like they’re always kind of subtle about asking for donations – I wonder if they think that if they pushed for donations harder, it would just make more people use Chrome. (On the other hand, there is no real alternative to Wikipedia, so they can do the big banner once a year.)