link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I come from an era before widespread official anime translations, when the only name an anime show had was the original Japanese name. So that’s still the paradigm I’m using.

Edit: Out of all the shit I post, I wouldn’t have expected this comment to be the controversial one

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Sure, there were lots of anime which did have official English names. Hell, I call it Kiki’s Delivery Service too. But there were equally many anime which did not have an English name. Particularly the seasonal alring anime which either never got an official release outside of Japan, or only got one long after the airing in Japan had ended.

• Jmdatcs@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

So “there were lots of anime which did have official English names,” so you didn’t “come from an era before widespread official anime translations.”

Therefore, bullshit.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Just because some shows did have official translations and English names it does not mean that there weren’t tons and tons of shows which didn’t have any English name.

• Jmdatcs@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

Oh so now it’s just some instead of lots.

And you’re in a paradigm, because you were into all those deep cuts without a translated name. We’ve probably never heard of them, because you’re into that real shit, right?

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Well, some can be lots because the volume is so large. At any rate, it wasn’t anywhere close to the majority. The bulk of anime did not have a translated name. Look at the old list of releases of almost any fansub group and you’ll be hard pressed to find titles other than the original Japanese one.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

I didn’t say there weren’t subs, I said there weren’t (that many) OFFICIAL translations. Fansubbers rarely called the shows they translated with any other title than the Japanese one.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Well, I never bought any bootlegs, that’s even before my time. I’m talking about the time when anime fansubs were distributed digitally as torrents and such. There were lots of fansub groups and by the end almost every anime was getting translated, but the shows were almost never called anything else but the Japanese name by the fan translators.

• PatMustard@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

On ProZD’s let’s play channel they had this exact conversation the other day! SungWon was called out on using the Japanese name and sheepishly explained he watched it before it had an English name. He then chanted weeeeeeb at himself.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Edit 2: I’m not sure how exactly I’m being unclear. All I’m trying to say is, there used to be lots of anime which only got fan translations, no official licensed translations. The fan translation groups almost always referred to the anime with the original Japanese name. Because this was the anime scene I grew up in, I’m just used to that way of doing things.

• PlantDadManGuy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Dude, you need to take several deep breaths and then stop harassing this person for having an opinion. It’s ok for someone to disagree with your life experiences.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I mean I know I’m a fucking weeb. Is it my use of the word “paradigm” that made people so mad? My intention was not to do a “before it was cool.” I simply wanted to explain my own experiences getting into anime and explain why someone might be more inclined to to use the Japanese names for anime shows: because that’s what they got used to back in the day and it stuck.

You call it “backtracking,” but I’m just trying to clarify what exactly I was referring to with my comment because many people clearly don’t seem to agree with some parts of it.

• wandermind@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

I’m honestly just very confused because that was my actual experience. Almost always referring to shows using their Japanese titles and searching for Japanese titles on torrent trackers like Tokyotosho and Nyaatorrents.

Edit: Maybe the hangup is in what exactly I mean by “Japanese” title? As in, just because a title is in English doesn’t mean it’s not the Japanese title. Like Sword Art Online is English but it is also the original Japanese title. No dweeb would call it Soodo Aato Onrain.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

As someone who doesn’t watch much anime, but does enjoy a show from time to time, if you say the Japanese name, there’s no way I’m finding it later. If it’s online in text, I can copy/paste, so do what you want online, but please use the English title if you know it.