• wagesof@links.wageoffsite.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Are they really 7nm chips tho? They do love to brand shit as other shit.

Wait until these end up in phones and have the power performance of 11nm stuff.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

There are really 7nm chips that are designed using a different approach, but have similar characteristics. It’s kind amusing how people think that there’s something magical involved in making these types of chips that would prevent China from making them.

• Dudewitbow@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think hes not questioning it because china, but because nm between different fabs isnt comparible. E.g. finfet nm isnt the true nm used by older definitions of what nm means, which is why intel for instance, changed their naming on its fab process to match the rest of the industry. (E.g “Intel 7” is actually a well processed 10nm traditional definition chip that has that name because its conparible to TSMC 7nm)

• StugStig@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

TSMC N7, N7P and Intel 7 don’t use EUV. It’s all quad patterned DUV. DUV lithography has been in use since the 1990s going from 800nm to N7P.

Every single node after TSMC’s so called 16nm has been all marketing. It would’ve more accurate to call TSMC 16FF as 20nm FinFET. This is why Intel brands what they themselves called 10nm as Intel 7 to bring their marketing more in line with TSMC’s.

SMIC N+1 has a density of 89 million of transistors per mm² while TSMC N7 has 91.2. TSMC 10FF and Samsung 10LPP only offer slightly more than half that density.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I literally linked an article explaining that China uses an alternative approach with chiplets. Maybe go read it. Also, it’s not like China can’t develop DUV themselves, or just hire people who already developed it to build it for them. There is no magic here.

• wagesof@links.wageoffsite.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Tell me you don’t understand modern chip manufacturing without saying you don’t understand modern chip manufacturing.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

I guess we’ll find out who actually understands modern chip manufacturing when these phones come out won’t we mr. modern chip manufacturing understander.