• theskyisfalling@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Oooo one of the main things stopping me from coming over to Linux is the fact that one of my primary uses is djing, currently I use traktor and have tried mixxx in the past but haven’t really got on with it.

Definitely going to give this a go to see how it has improved as I haven’t tried it out for a few years and maybe I can finally make the shift away from windows!

Anyone have any experience of bringing libraries / playlists across to mixxx from other software?

• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

In 2020 they were attempting to add HID support for CDJs. Does anyone know how far along that effort is? I would LOVE to convert my library from Rekordbox to Mixxx and just bring a little laptop to a gig instead of hoping and praying that LINK mode works.

• You999@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

From what I see online it’s just hid mapping support and their page only mentions the OG CDJ 2000s (non nexus). I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was only just control and no display features like you get within rekordbox. I have a pair of 2Ks laying around so I’ll try it out some point.

• Ihnivid@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I did a quick install, definitely feels way better than ~7 years ago, when i last checked it out. Hopefully connecting my old Kontrol S2 won’t be too much of a hassle.

The tracks I’ve imported seem to have come with the same info I’ve added on Traktor.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I think the last time I tried it was around that time frame too so good to hear that and that your traktor info seems to have been read properly.

I have an S4 mk3 which i see is specifically mentioned on the link OP provided as now being fully supported out the box so I’m going to install it on windows and give it a try tonight I think to see how it is now.

Will be amazing if everything just works right out of the box without having to fuck around with libraries!

• Psythik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Try it out and let me know if it has support for stems and motorized platters. I want stems so badly.

I’m stuck using an ancient version of Serato when they arbitrarily decided to discontinue support for my beloved Numark NS7 II one day, just because “fuck you; buy new hardware”. One thing that would certainly get me back into Linux and DJing in general would be support for my controller in software with modern features.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah both serato and trakor from my experience are a bit like that in terms of “fuck you we are doing this” approach to their software.

I have just given it a quick 45 minute try (so not exhaustive) but unfortunately I don’t think it is where you want it right now. My motorised platters do not work with it that I can see and I cannot find any mention of stems, it isn’t something I use so I’m not that familiar with it.

The mapping on my controller seems to be pretty decent and the stems button I have does nothing so I’m guessing it isn’t a feature yet to have any kind of implementation :(

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m going to try it out (all be it within a windows environment) later on today so I’ll report back and let you know how I find it.

Won’t you miss the amazing traktor library management? XD

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

;)

Have you tried lexicon? I have had good results with that and it helped me a lot recently when I decided I was going to go through and reorganise my ~14000 tracks.

• Infamousblt [any]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

I haven’t no I will definitely have to check that out. I end up manually organizing and using weird labels to try to find stuff in Traktor, it’s a system, it works, but it’s not how it should be

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

You and me both man, I have a system and a workflow for tagging and adding new music that kind of works for me but it is convoluted and not optimal mainly due to the software. I really liked lexicon though and for what I wanted to do it served me really well so I’d recommend at least checking it out as an option.

I have just played around for about 45 minutes and so far it is really promising to be honest. My controller had a mapping already built in that just needed to be selected along with my audio routing options, everything that I regularly use seemed to be working as expected on the controller, including the preview function which I didn’t expect.

The screens and the motorised jog wheels on the controller don’t seem to be implemented in any way but I don’t care about the motorised wheels and the screens aren’t exactly essential, just nice to have.

I pointed it at my music library and it scanned through it, ready to play in around 10 minutes (13500 tracks) which compared to traktor and serato is blindingly fast xD

It seemed to read the majority of my tags the way I have them set up just from looking at it quickly and it read my traktor collection file without me even pointing it to it so I had all my playlists with no hassle what so ever.

There are quite a few options with different skins etc so I need to sit down and have a proper look through stuff as the main things I didn’t like with this initial try were visual based things just from where I’m used to things being a certain way. These are all things I can get used to having differently over time anyway bit there are also plenty of settings I didn’t look into so I may be able to change it to be more familiar anyway.

Overall it was up and running quickly and easily. No fucking about with anything really, just set my controller and audio routing in options and I could pretty much have played straight away.

I’d give it a try if i were you, I’m going to delve into it deeper over the weekend I think and see what options I have but so far so good!

• mx_smith@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is really cool that we have gone full circle back to Linux when it comes to VDJ software. I’m not sure if you guys remember Final Scratch which was the first on the scene for digital vinyl control, and required a Linux partition to run and you had to preprocess all your MP3’s before it would play them. They dropped Linux when Scratch Live came out as you didn’t need it for Serato’s software.