Blizzard has told Diablo 4 players to stop using game-modifying software or risk their account suffering a permanent ban.

In a message posted to the Blizzard forums, Diablo community chief Adam Fletcher made clear the developer’s position on unauthorised modifications, many of which it said are used to cheat. Fletcher even called out one piece of software, called TurboHUD4, which has proved a popular option among the community, especially hardcore players pushing against the outer edges of Diablo 4’s endgame.

• Pohl@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Game pass version will be announced within a week of the MS deal closing. They can’t really announce it before. Seems inevitable.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why not introduce an offline mod mode then where there isn’t achievements and stuff in exchange for letting people play around.

• Questy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was watching the drama around the nerf patch with a little amusement. It’s like people don’t think that they will slow the game down to start creating space for monetized ways to speed it back up. They knew they couldn’t really just release it with the same framework as Diablo Immortal, they need to ease the player base into monetized progression.

Blizzard is a great example of the concept that, when someone shows you who they really are, believe them.

• shinjiikarus@mylem.eu
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

They definitely made two balancings: one for reviewers and early adopters who raved in their assessment of the game and one for squeezing the pennies.

• inclementimmigrant@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, I was holding out for that scant bit of hope they wouldn’t Kotick this game up like Diablo immoral but deep down I knew they were going to do the same slimy shit so I played patient gamer.

Still it’s disheartening to see how many gamers still bought it right or off the gate and how this will continue to be the sad normal for gaming.

• RealM@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I didn’t really closely follow Diablo 4, but I was under the impression that all the monetization currently is only vanity outfits, without gameplay influencing changes?

Or did they already put in P2W elements?

EDIT:
          alrighty, did some research, seems like the monetization is split two-ways:

1. The classic scummy rotating in-game shop with its own premium currency with overpriced vanity items that do not influence gameplay (has no reason to be in a full price title).

2. The battle pass with its supposedly 80 hour grind (in which you can pay more money to rank up faster). The battle pass already includes gameplay influencing effects (more xp, longer potions,…) but those appearently also apply to the free version. Still scummy though, they’re already loosening the promise of no P2W. Give them enough time, they’ll get there.

• teegus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I remember fooling around in text file for the game tiberian sun. Just boosting the power of certain units. Very fun, but impossible with today’s always online games. Very sad.

• hugetechnerd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I honestly haven’t bothered looking into this game until today because my wife and I enjoyed playing 3 together a bunch and I started playing the first one again recently. The always online feature for me is an instant no purchase. I’ll play other ARPGs instead for my fix.

• FinalBoy1975@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is why I don’t play any of Blizzard’s games anymore. All they want to do is monetize every single little thing. Their secret to greed is: 1) convince people to buy an overpriced game 2) convince people to play the overpriced game and buy overpriced things in the game. Blizzard can go suck it until they knock it off. I haven’t played Diablo since Diablo 2. There are plenty of wonderful games like Diablo that don’t pull this shit. The Torchlight games are fun, for example. I’d say even better than Diablo. Grim Dawn is also awesome. No need for Diablo, really, at least in my life. The same can be said for a lot of their other money grubbing games. Hearthstone can be replaced by a huge number of games that don’t try to get players to buy packs of cards., for example. All the alternatives can be modified with no issues and you can get mods through Steam.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

saying 3 and 4 are bad could be a meme. I disagree with this typical, mostly unjustified opinion about 3. I like Torchlight 3. I haven’t tried 4 so I can’t give an opinion about it but it probably isn’t as bad as whining gamers say it is. Anyway, my point was that nobody needs to waste their money on Diablo, not about which games are better or worse… There are plenty of games that are just as good or better and aren’t money grabbers. I love Grim Dawn.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Gamers hating on Torchlight 3 is like an international past time! LOL. I went to check out Torchlight 4 to remember why I skipped over it and now I know why. It got enshittified and isn’t even called Torchlight 4. Torchlight Infinite looks like a total Diablo clone but it’s just free to play. So, without even trying it, I agree with you that it sucks because it is exactly the kind of thing I avoid. Torchlight 3 is just different from the previous two in terms of quests. When I’m in the mood for more linear stuff, I play Torchlight 3. If I want lots of side quests and want to play the game all day on a marathon, I play Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, or one of the Van Helsing games.

• TheHighRoad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I fail to see how TurboHUD hurts the Blizz bottom line. I guess if they ban in wide enough waves they can lure in people willing to buy multiple copies?