• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Well, after following what’s been happening in Trump world over the past 5 years, I think it’s safe to say that nothing will ever happen to these people no matter what they’ve done.

• Snapz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

You’re literally commenting this on the day when trump got a $400 million dollar judgement landed against him… Even if he wants to keep trying his bullshit now, he’ll have to post over 100% of what he owes to continue.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I’m just going to go out on a limb here and guess that he’ll never pay a single dime of that because “witch hunt yada yada”

• HandBreadedTools@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

You should really look into the case as to why that won’t happen. The judge took special care to ensure Trump has no way to weasel out of paying: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/ny-fraud-case-damages-pay-millions-judge-engoron-rcna135283

Tldr: judge appointed two independent people, one to monitor his personal wealth and the other to monitor his company’s finances. All of his assets in New York are completely frozen, as Trump moved all of what he owned to his company. He did this to claim he does not have a high net worth, but it backfired as he cannot use or sell his assets to pay the bill.

He can try to appeal, but 1) the only way he can do that is by claiming the case was a mistrial, that he was treated unfairly, and 2) he must put 110% of what he owes into a bond that will be held by the court during the appeal process. There are other things I didn’t go over, just know the dude is actually fucked.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

I want to believe this is going to happen, but I’ve just learned by now that Trump always finds a way to weasel out even when it seems there’s no way to weasel out.

I’m sure he’ll be able to convince some judge that he was treated unfairly for political reasons, and all that will happen is that he’ll be rewarded with millions of conservative votes.

Yes, I’m cynical when it comes to Trump.

• sunbytes@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

I really believe that in the normal functioning of the court, that this would actually happen.

However I’m going to wait until the first dollar leaves his account before celebrating anything.

My partner says I’m not allowed to consider anything like this a success until he suffers an actual consequence.

Being issued a fine in this case is not yet a consequence.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

If Trump’s really worth billions, like he says he is, $355 million don’t matter. Just a slap on the wrist.

• Esqplorer@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Until SCOTUS pulls a reverse card bc at least 2 of them are documented to be bought and paid for.

He’ll just keep funneling RNC money to do whatever he wants.

None of this is legal and none of it matters. He has 8 years of demonstrated proof the law doesn’t create consequences to him.

• HandBreadedTools@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

This case cannot go to SCOTUS. They do not have jurisdiction over this type of case. He also cannot use RNC money to pay this fine and there is a special monitor watching over all of his finances to ensure he does not.

You can deny it all you want, this case is the first real punishment for him, but it’s only the beginning. He’s been avoiding stuff for 8 years, like you said, but no more.