I wanted te host own matrix server, but it’s seems too complicated for the first time hosting. So, what do you recommend?

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

You really should not directly expose services to the public internet. That opens up high levels of risk and anything you do expose needs to be monitored and isolated from everything else.

I would start by creating a separate subnet for your homelab. You should setup firewall rules to disallow traffic to pass between them. For exposing services to your internal lan you should set up basic port forwards.

For remote access you should setup a VPN. Wireguard is going to have the best performance and you can either host it at home or use a mesh VPN solution like netbird or Tailscale.

If you must expose something to the internet be very careful. You should follow least privilege always and restrict access to everything the exposed service doesn’t need. Lastly you should assume that you system will be compromised so make sure you have backups.

For me I don’t have a static IP so I created a VPS in Linode and then setup Wireguard with a reverse proxy to route traffic into my homelab. This approach is better than exposing your home IP in my option as it moves your Internet activity and hosted services to different IPs. Its not totally unheard of to have a shady website scan your IP for open services that can be exploited.

Another though: you also could set up a honeypot to see attacks in real time. There are tools to do this and it would show you what your up against.