• Ummdustry@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Ok, prosecute all eight billion of us for the murder of the seventy million that died last year, see how that works out for you.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Positive Vs. Negative rights, we’ve been talking about it this entire time. Saying “You can’t murder him” is different from “You can’t let him die”

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Yes

(but only rhetorically, I’m actually asking why you belive that some hypothetical future institution will be able to)

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

I don’t?

You seem to think that ‘right to life’ means ‘right to defy entropy.’ It doesn’t.

I guess freedom speech isn’t a right because people in comas don’t have that ability?

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    5 months ago

The right to free speech is a negative right, in that nobody is forced to do anything to give it you.

What a UBI is asking for is the equivalent to the right to life as giving everybody a printing press is the freedom of speech.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but a very expensive one that maybe ought to wait until the planet isn’t dying.