Can’t even take a short break from 3D designing stuff. Glad I’m switching over to FreeCAD. All I wanted was to grab some dimensions from an old model.

• Aux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 个月前

I’m getting disappointed in F360 as well, but existing open source alternatives are pure cancer. Basically, I’ve started making my own open source CAD. Hope to release some basic POC in a month or two.

• stallmer@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 个月前

You’re saying you’re starting from scratch on a brand new CAD program yourself rather than contributing to an existing, established project like FreeCAD?

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 个月前

Cue xkcd comic about how we end up with new standards. It’s the same with FOSS projects. Every new stubborn headed dev things they will get it right this time, wasting work instead of contributing and pooling efforts and resources that would get better improvement and quality faster than starting from scratch.

• jkrtn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 个月前

I mean, it would be cooler to not call the existing ones “cancer,” but I support them trying something new. Yes, it will be an uphill battle, but wasn’t LuaJIT done by a lone genius? I hope they’re successful and we have a new CAD option.

• Dimand@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 个月前

The existence of foss projects should never exclude the creation of alternatives if someone wants to try.

• Aux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 个月前

FreeCAD is a ridiculous mess. The only way forward for the project is to dump the code base and start from scratch.

• Richard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 个月前

They are not pure cancer. You should be more grateful for the effort the FOSS community volunteers are putting into creating a free as in freedom ecosystem, without any reimbursement whatsoever. Instead, they’re having their work attacked by folks like you.

• Aux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 个月前

Look, mate, I’ve contributed to many many open source projects over the last two decades. Including Klipper if we’re talking about 3D printing. FreeCAD is a piece of shit. It’s just a fact.