Like the title implies, I’m trying to figure out where to pickup cheap used or new battery backups (ups) in Canada.

I have a couple of small servers I run, so around 1000+ watts should be good.

If I have to replace the battery inside, that’s not a problem, there is a battery place inside my city that offered cheap replacements for around $30.

Any suggestions help!

• Zikeji@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I would start by getting a Kill-A-Watt (or generic) so you can measure power draw (under artificial load). The price between a 600W UPS and a 1000W UPS can be dramatic. When I hear “small server” I think of an R210ii / similar platform that uses less wattage than a old fashioned light bulb.

• SpunkyBarnes@geddit.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Gear on the cheap?

If you’re patient and can self-support, your local non-profits and their online stores may be useful.

It’s rare to see big gear NIB, but it does happen; have seen rack mount Cyberpower, 10 outlet, hi-watt units, IOB going for around $200+ in the last 6 months. Picked up a previous generation, 5 disk NAS for a tenth of its retail price, used.

You’re north of my border so my sites won’t work for you, but seriously, look into any Goodwill/Salvation Army type organizations, and don’t neglect local, they can be rewarding too.

GL&HF!

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This is the best way, get one cheap or even free with dead batteries. Then just replace the batteries on the cheap and you’ve got yourself a UPS that was probably a few hundred or more $$ for the cost of maybe $100 in batteries.