• Norah - She/They@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m not even a Swift fan, and yeah I get that she is ultimately still a billionaire. But she played on Friday in my home city of Melbourne, and that day she donated $100k to a local food bank system. I know that’s still a drop in the bucket for her, but that’s not chump change.

However, if you do some searching, there’s a stream of news stories of her donating large amount like that or more. The day before her first Melbourne concert, she donated $100k to the family of the woman killed at the super bowl parade. Two months ago she donated $1 million to a relief fund for tennessee tornado victims. Heaps more food bank donations.

Like, can we seriously just leave her the fuck alone? Musk is an alt-right piece of shit, she’s just a talented musician that actually works for a living. And yeah, I know she doesn’t work as much as some of the rest of us, but stadium touring is still brutal. Musk just sits on his arse all day tweeting and committing labour violations.

She’s also not the child of an emerald mine owner so there’s that too.

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

100k to a billionaire is no more than a tip. Billionaires are a symptom of an unjust system of wealth distribution, regardless of the person. Musk also happens to be a racist numbfuck, but they’re a dime a dozen. The problem is that he’s part of a digital feudalism and wields enormous power.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

100k to a billionaire is no more than a tip.

Yeah, like I already said in my comment, it’s a drop in the bucket for her. But she’s doing it over and over again. Twice this week she donated $100k. It adds up over time. Dolly Parton is worth $650 million, and she also donates significant sums of that to her book charity. They’re both trying reasonably hard to make the world suck less. Musk is actively creating more suffering. Can we not talk about them like they’re the same level of evil? What good does that bring?

• Sprokes@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Many rich people are “donating” to avoid paying taxes and it another way for marketing. You are the proof of that, you are defending and promoting her.

Billionaires like her are the reason we have poverty and charity associations

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

You are 100% correct that many billionaires do that. As cogman mentioned above, having a “charity” that you run yourself as a billionaire is absolutely a common tax scam. That’s not what she’s doing though. She’s actually spending the money.

Also in terms of marketing, like, are you serious? Her music speaks for itself to her fans, they don’t care about any of this. My words here aren’t going to influence someone to go listen to her music or buy a concert ticket. To believe that they could is simply ludicrous.

• ninpnin@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

It’s not a literal tax scam, it’s just free PR due to tax reasons. You donate and you pay less tax

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

You donate and you pay less tax

As a US citizen, she is only allowed to claim donations to charities registered in the US. The $100k she just dropped in Melbourne, Australia wouldn’t be eligible for example. Therefore it’s not free PR, she actually paid about $100k for it.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Have you ever read Andrew Carnegie’s book The Gospel of Wealth? Even if Taylor hasn’t, someone close to her has. Carnegie and Rockefeller needed bodyguards to feel safe in public. All billionaires should feel the same. We forgot to call them what they are. Robber Barons.

• cogman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

It’s, frankly, more than most billionaires and 100 millionaires do.

Most billionaires are setting up fake charities as tax shelters so they can publicize “Elon musk gave money to the Elon musk charity for fueling billionaire private jets foundation”.

You can pretty much pick a billionaire and find that billionaire’s charity that does dog shit.

Except for Dolly Parton who apparently didn’t get the memo that she’s supposed to be scamming :D

https://fortune.com/2022/12/12/elon-musk-gave-5-7-billion-to-charity-last-year-where-it-went-was-a-mystery-until-now/

• TheDankHold@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

More than most billionaires is a pathetically low bar to clear. Charities are less efficient than paying taxes to fund proper centralized systems but this way they get to hold on to the majority of their dragon hoard, not meaningfully address most of the cause they donate too, and launder their reputation to people like you that can’t see past the hollow optics.

• cogman@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

to people like you that can’t see past the hollow optics.

Umm, ok, Like I agree with you that charities in general tend to be a bad way to solve public problems. But I’m also pointing out that charities rich people tend to contribute to are often even worse than ineffective for addressing public needs.