• rudyharrelson@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

True, he wasn’t retired during that time. I was wrong. He just wasn’t the frontman sitting behind the desk each night.

If you think I’m part of “the problem” because I do not identify as a campaign staffer and do not assign that role to others during an election cycle, or that valid criticisms of candidates are off the table during the election cycle, then we can end the discussion here. As far as I’m concerned, you’re part of the problem because you assume, ultimately, that any nuanced discussion is invalid because Americans are too stupid or ignorant for that kind of discussion to ever be anything more than ammunition for the opposition, which I know isn’t the case. Have a good one!

• MudMan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

To be clear, I think being part of the problem isn’t the same as being malicious, hostile or stupid. I think being stubbornly naive about the system working the way it’s supposed to has its uses. It’s a powerful tool to get the corrupt to shy away from breaking the rules if enough people assume the rules will be followed.

But I also think we punched through that wall like a bunker buster dropping from orbit years ago and a lot of the US is a toad that has been simmered to being full-on al dente by this point. Well meaning people hoping to get through this as if it’s… you know, an actual democratic election are part of the problem despite themselves.

• rudyharrelson@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t think I’m being “stubbornly naive about the system” by thinking it’s okay for people to engage in nuanced discource. You and I will not agree on this, and I am not interested in further engaging with someone whose hardline rhetoric has gone so far as to demonize valid criticism.

There’s nothing Biden could do to lose my vote in this election, but I’m not going to pretend he’s a perfect candidate. And anyone who thinks we need to treat him as such is deluded. Democrats and progressives (like me) knew he wasn’t a perfect candidate in 2020, but they knew he could garner enough support to beat Trump, and he did. Will he do it again? No idea, but I’m not interested in silencing valid criticisms now any more than I was in 2020, because the game hasn’t changed since then. You think January 6 changed anything? Ask any given Republican if January 6 changed which party they’ll be voting for. There’s your answer.

• MudMan@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

The game has changed because Republicans will stick with the coup party. That’s my whole point.

If your political rival is willing to violently disrupt the process when they lose you’re not having a fair and free election, and “valid criticism” becomes a distant second priority to… you know, going back to a situation where you get to have a democracy with fair and free elections.

That’s the shift the Stewart approach refuses to acknowledge. And when I say “stubbornly naive” I mean that acting under the fiction that the rules are followed and things will behave how they’re supposed to can be an inspiring, powerful thing. It can shame those who would flip-flop or gloss over procedure or principle to stick to the norms and conventions that keep society afloat.

But there’s no shaming Trump and no shaming the trumpists. And if you’re still hoping to inspire them into reasonableness when the death cult of the rapist orange fascist is actively telling you… what is it this week? That he will fund a completely unaccountable Gestapo? Well, you’re being idealist right into democracy’s collapse.

And to be clear, I’m not worried about your vote. I’m worried about the vote of the people who haven’t gotten the memo, or are in the process of sliding down the spiral of fascism but aren’t there yet. And I’m sure worried about the Rashida Tlaibs and the Berniebros and the leftists who will gladly butcher anything short of ideological purity and stay at home because “nobody has earned their trust”.

If you or Stewart think voting for Biden exempts you from being part of that issue… well, it doesn’t. It doesn’t under normal circumstances, arguably, but right now we’re very far from that point. It’s not like this hasn’t happened before. That’s why I keep going back to “but her emails”. Was it valid criticism? Yes. Did it kill thousands of people during the pandemic? Also yes.

Is the tradeoff worth it? What will the “it’s reasonable to ask if Biden is too old” body count be?