• Iteria@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This is literally victim blaming. What if he “stood up for himself” and was shot by a cop. What a win for him! What if he was best by a mob?

If someone pulls a gun on you should you fight them? A knife? A bat? A brick? A dirty needle? I’m mentioning this because people seem to understand immediate bodily harm and how it’s perfectly acceptable to keep yourself safe. However somehow when you have to make the active decision to expose yourself to bodily harm then suddenly if you don’t you’re coward and part of the problem.

All the while, no one is talking about how people with nothing to lose to stand up to the abusers aka the person judging the victim for keep themselves safe. If they really thought it was a great idea they’d do it themselves. They’d confront the harassers and give them the proper shunning and verbal redress they deserve, but that never happens. All that happens is people with no skin in the game talk about how others should risk their personal safety and livelihoods for some principle the victim doesn’t want to stand for.

• LexiconDexicon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

for some principle the victim doesn’t want to stand for

So we should all just let racism flourish then and not stand against it? The victim here isn’t being threatened with violence, and they have friends too, so why then run away? Running away from problems never solves anything

• Pleonasm@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

What if the moon was made of cheese?

It’s up to him to judge his own situation and make his own decisions. There are many different ways besides physical to fight and struggle against something. Basically the only thing that does nothing is giving up entirely.

Call it victim blaming if you like. It would be lovely if society at large sprung to assist those who are wronged. But that’s not what happens in reality, as I see it.

• Iteria@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Unlike the moon being made of cheese I gave actual real situations. I agree that everyone has to judge if they want to fight or not, but it’s not up to people who will never be impacted by a situation to have that opinion.

I say this as a black person who has been punched by a cop as a teen. As a black person who had my house raided for no reason. As a black person who has watched my family carried away for no reason. Whose grandmother was put in federal prison for helping fund the civil rights movement and was nearly denied a security clearance because most of my family is considered domestic terrorists because of the Civil rights movement. I have a lot more to add to the stack.

I’ve spent my whole ass life advancing safety for my people, but no I would not go purposefully to an area where I would be harmed. That’s why I take offense for judging that man for making that decision. It’s doubtful you’ve ever had to make such a decision and if you could have helped you wouldn’t have because as you said outsiders don’t help. Stop judging people for not taking steps you never would.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Feels like you’re talking at me, rather than to me.

Any judgement you’re picking up is the way you’ve chosen to read my comments.

• Iteria@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Perhaps you should take a moment to reflect on if your words are callus towards the people who are affected. You can think that I’m talking at you or taking meaning that isn’t there, but you’re on the side of people who arr advocating for risking their safety. It doesn’t matter of you didn’t say it, it matters that you contradicting me and another person who say that person was wrong.

Context matters, especially ok a platform that doesn’t put focus on users, but words. Your words will add to the context and not be just your words. That is what I’m arguing against. You addition to te context because you are saying that victims should risk themselves based on nothing but where you chose to interject yourself.

BTW, I didn’t vote one way or another on your posts. Those downvotes came organically.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

BTW, I didn’t vote one way or another on your posts. Those downvotes came organically.

I don’t care if you do or not. We’re not having a popularity contest here.

You can think that I’m…taking meaning that isn’t there

I sure do, because you are. Just because I’m saying that it’s important to stand up and fight for your rights does not mean that I’m advocating for this particular guy to put himself in a situation where he might get beaten up or killed, or judging him for not doing so. There’s an enormous range of actions between actively putting yourself in harm’s way and doing nothing at all. And in fact, the only person judging people here…is you.