My grandson recommended me to try Linux, but I cannot find where to download it. Many people tell me to use something called “Arch” but when I click the md5 file I only see a bunch of numbers. I found a download zip on kernel.org, but when I make the usb, it says not bootable

• paddythegeek@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

On the off chance this is a real question, if it’s your first time, don’t install Arch, install Linux Mint. It’s simpler to use and will probably be an easier transition.

To get it installed, download the ISO image for the latest stable build (22.3 as of this post). You can then use a tool like Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) to create a bootable usb.

Reboot your system with the completed usb and boot from it. If your system automatically starts windows again, note that you may need to press either F2 or F12 when booting up to get a menu that allows you to boot from the usb.

You’ll be able to try the os before you decide to install it. If you like it and want to install it, you can choose the appropriate option from the os once it’s loaded.

You can dual-boot windows and Linux Mint if you want to, usually a good option for first time, so you can go back to windows if you need to. I’d recommend using Mint for a while before deciding whether you can move fully over. If all you use your system for is web browsing, viewing media, and gaming (I.e., no MS Office work) you’ll probably be fine to move over full time.

Also, get your grandson to help you out! :)