My car got stolen 2 months ago - yep, a Hyundai - and was recovered with the obvious damage to the steering column. I took it in for repair and that security upgrade (I didn’t know about it before) but between not returning and calls and trying to charge me $680 to repair the airbag spring THEY broke, they’ve miserable to deal with.

I got my car back last week and everything seemed fine but I didn’t think to check my remote start… and last night I learned that it now set off my alarm.

I had it installed at the dealership when I bought it in 2019 but they didn’t offer a Hyundai remote start as a package option so they put in a Viper system. I called them today and was told that third party starters were not their problem to fix.

I’ve left a message with my insurance agent because (weirdly) he’s the only person involved I trust anymore and looking for answers online leads me to believe Hyundai will NOT fix it. I didn’t see any success stories.

So I’m here to ask: How can I get Hyundai to do something about this? Do I have any recourse here legally? Or is this something I, a tech-savvy but not car-savvy guy could fix himself?

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Was it factory or aftermarket remote start?

If it is factory, they should fix it. If its aftermarket, did that dealer install the kit? If not, then they’re not responsible for it. Get your insurance to pay for repair or installation of a new aftermarket kit.

I was a Hyundai dealer technician for 4 years. I wouldn’t touch aftermarket parts, not because they’re “hard to install” (they’re not), but because I cannot guarantee the reliability of that part. If I installed an aftermarket part, then I would be “getting married to your car.” Every time your car ever had a problem with that aftermarket kit, you would come back to complain and I would have to deal with diagnosing, removing, and installing another kit for free. I don’t know about you, but I don’t exactly like working for free because of something I cannot control.