Prior to the protest reddit was in full support of the protest. Most polls on subs supported a shutdown. Now, seemingly every community cant understand why the protest was needed and they’re calling it a mod power trip. There is a 3rd possibility. This is an unfounded conspiracy but reddit themselves could be manipulating scores.

See the NFL thread if you don’t mind sending traffic

https://reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/14b11kh/were_just_here_so_we_dont_get_fined/

• candlebury@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Beehaw defederated, I lost access to the communities I cared about, I started going back to reddit unfortunately.

Honestly learning how defederation works turned me off the plataform entirely, not only can it kill budding communities, the fact it can disable communications among users everywhere means its also incredible censoring power given to the instance admins and you as an user hoping they dont abuse it. I understand how its necessary for extreme cases, but having it exist just means it gets used trivially over reasons that dont deserve it.

• popshabang@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the biggest problem with de-federalization is that transferring your account to another instance is impossible (or at least obtuse enough that I can’t figure it out). Being able to have your account hosted on an instance that matches your moderation views is good–a lot of beehaw users like the more curated approach–but there needs to be a painless way to migrate to a new instance if the one you’re currently on makes changes that you don’t agree with.

• 1Fuji2Taka3Nasubi@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

From what I’ve read, transferring account is current not implemented. It is possible on Mastodon, so it may one day be implemented on Lemmy nor kbin, certainly many people have asked for it.

• gh0stcassette@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Fuck, they really defederated from at least lemmy.world. Why? Are they trying to kill the platform? Lots of the bigger tech communities were over there, now I’m bummed out. Low-key hope this kills their instance or restricts new users joining over there because I don’t want to have to make another account over there just to view the three communities I liked, and no one else should have to either, having a couple of mods silo themselves off from the rest of the network defeats the entire purpose of the fediverse.

Edit: read through the beehaw mods post explaining why they did it. I still vehemently disagree, but I understand why now, and it was premature to say I hope their instance dies

• Sentrovasi@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

defeats the entire purpose of the fediverse.

I dunno, this seems like really backward thinking to me.

It only “defeats” the point of the fediverse if the point of the fediverse is to be replacement-Reddit. The fediverse is unique from other such platforms in that it has the ability for instances to defederate. If anything, being able to defederate is the point of the Fediverse. If a bigger instance starts to cannibalise a smaller instance’s communities and cultures, they only have a defense at all because of federalisation.