Mark Zuckerberg: Tech layoffs in 2024 have been a natural response to pandemic-era over hiring::Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg believes companies are still readjusting to pandemic-era hiring tactics amid a flurry of layoffs across the industry.

• TheDonkerZ@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I find it funny that the natural response here is to immediately vilify Zuck and call all these CEOs morons for over hiring in the first place, which is 100% correct.

But I’ll be damned, it’s the first time I’ve seen someone of that stature actually acknowledge wtf happened. So I’m inclined to give the least bit of credit to him. Still a dogshit human being, but yeah…

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Because it wasn’t overhiring though.

They finally had enough workers to split the workload fairly over them without them getting overworked.

Now that the pandemic is over, they can go back to hiring just enough people to make everyone overworked again without the company collapsing.

• TheDonkerZ@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It really depends on where you worked I guess. My company was understaffed and worked us to the bone before, during, and after the pandemic.

I’d like to have that number of people working to keep the workloads lower, but costs are costs and they gotta cut from keeping going under.

And God forbid the CEOs take a paycut and make up the pay of 20 people themselves.

/s, just in case.

• III@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

You should have added “but will anyone think of the shareholders?” in there.