Anyone have a method for determining the best stem length and rise? I’m a casual road cyclist and I feel like I have too much weight on my hands, noticable more on longer rides. I kinda feel like it should be an inch (2-3 cm) shorter, but not sure how rise would impact that. How do I go about finding whats right without trying 4 or 5 stems? Any help is appreciated!

• Turkey_Titty_city@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The best method is to go out and buy 4 different stems and try them. Honesty.

Bike fits are a scam. Trial and error for your own body and own needs only way to figure this out.

You also need to consider changing your bar width if you alter your stem length/height more than 20cm.

For starters, flip your step up, if it’s down. Also, is your bike the correct size frame, and/or is it a racing frame or an endurance frame? Trying to make an aggresive racing frame into a casual endurance bike is not really going to work great.

• ape_arms@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Thanks. This is what I am trying now. bought two cheap stems and am going to try them out. Current set up is 120mm but bought 100 and 90mm. Cost me $23. Figure I could send them back. Also trying the seat adjustment from other suggestions here. Thanks to all who responded!