I’m really leaning to a custom character first playthrough. I’m also REALLY curious about the dark urge character as well. I know it may not be “recommended” for a virgin playthrough though. fortunately, I know the ruleset pretty well and have tons of hours in EA. since I feel undecided about 1 of 2 choices for first run, I thought I’d ask this group for insight on the dilemma. can we roll a d20 here? 😝

• saucyloggins@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I don’t think the recommendation is about knowing the rules.

I think it’s recommended that Dark Urge is only played after your first play through because something with the character is going to drastically change the story and your decisions. Just judging from the name alone it sounds like you’re going to have to fight against the character to make decisions in the game that aren’t evil or what not.

• TheRookReturns@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

To me Dark Urge feels perfect for an evil play through. Probably not great for a good alignment run or a multiplayer game, where I’d argue it would be like a PnP game where 1 player was a murder hobo. If you plan your first run to be evil, then get all those juicy extras shown on the livestream.

• pyrflie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Dark Urge is not Tav+. Both of these backgrounds have different origin cues for dialog and found content.

Unless you are going high Wis or Paladin you will run into railroads going Dark Urge due to skill/save checks.

I plan to save this for my third run.

• darth_helmet@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m literally going to roll a dx on origin and go with it, no regrets. I’m sure I’ll play through it a few times regardless, might as well have fun with it.

• Hairyblue@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I would save the Dark Urge play through as a second play. Unless you like playing evil characters, then do first.