one assessment suggests that ChatGPT, the chatbot created by OpenAI in San Francisco, California, is already consuming the energy of 33,000 homes. It’s estimated that a search driven by generative AI uses four to five times the energy of a conventional web search. Within years, large AI systems are likely to need as much energy as entire nations.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

You seem to be holding both him and yourself to a different standard since you just made a personal attack.

And it happened in this community. You could have asked which community.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Where did I make a personal attack? The comment where you explicitly asked for examples of you being anti-AI?

And you’re slinging personal attacks against both of us, so if “holding people to different standards” is such a big deal, well…

I didn’t ask because it didn’t matter. I wasn’t present, I have no idea what you guys were arguing about and I don’t care. The point is that you suddenly brought that argument in here, where it’s a complete non-sequitur and not relevant to the subject at hand. And you’re certainly not being civil about it.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Where did I make a personal attack?

Right here:

Last week you were advocating in favor of mobs burning self-driving cars if they were “pissed off” by them.

Because that is a false accusation intended to make me look bad. And you know it.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

You literally asked for that. What a wonderful catch-22 you set up; if nobody responded with the evidence you demanded you could claim people were lying about you, and if they provided it you can claim they’re launching personal attacks.

Rereading that previous thread, I see you were quick to accuse me of issuing personal attacks there too. Seems to be a common theme.

Anyway. Is there anything more to discuss here about the actual topic of this thread, the energy usage of ChatGPT?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I literally asked for you to lie in order to make me look bad by claiming I said people could burn a car if they were pissed off?

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say either thing.

And yes I did accuse you of making personal attacks then. Because you were making them then and you’re making them now.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

MagicShel said:

This is about you hate AI

And you responded:

Please demonstrate that to be true. Unless it’s a lie. Is it a lie?

So I demonstrated.

There’s no need to screenshot one specific quote and present it with no context, I provided a link to the whole thread.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

The only thing you demonstrated was that you lied. And you provided the link to prove it.

The first statement was, as I have demonstrated, a lie. The second statement was, as I said, dishonest, because it was a group decision, not a unilateral one, and had nothing to do with hating AI in general.

So no, you have not shown that to be in any way true. All you have shown is that you are a highly dishonest person who makes scurrilous accusations in order to harm someone’s reputation.

Badly.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  4 months ago

That’s not the comment I was referring to. Here’s a direct link, where you said:

I think it’s reasonable for a mob to destroy one of the many self-driving cars that have been pissing off San Francisco residents for a very long time now when it tries to drive into them during a big celebration where cars weren’t even supposed to be. Who got hurt here? Waymo? Fuck Waymo.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    4 months ago

Yep, still lying.

I didn’t say-

I think it’s reasonable for a mob to destroy one of the many self-driving cars that have been pissing off San Francisco residents for a very long time now

I said:

I think it’s reasonable for a mob to destroy one of the many self-driving cars that have been pissing off San Francisco residents for a very long time now when it tries to drive into them during a big celebration where cars weren’t even supposed to be. Who got hurt here? Waymo? Fuck Waymo.

But it is pretty amusing that you pasted a quote yourself that proves what you said was a lie. Maybe you should have cut off that second part to make the lie more convincing.