My parents live in an area without good tv antenna reception, but don’t want to get cable for just local channels. Is there a way over the internet to get local channels that isn’t cable or an antenna? Preferably with a Roku or something like that, but not necessary, just not overly complicated. I see that pluto.tv has some large cities, but obviously not more local than that.

• athos77@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Does it have to be their actual local stations, and what are they looking to watch on their local stations? I’m asking because the only truly local thing I think I watch is the local news, and at least where I am, I can stream from the local station’s website.

That leaves daytime programming, and syndicated and network evening/night broadcasts, and you could get around a lot of that with something like Stanford’s Puffer (if they live on the west coast, or are night owls).

• Rozz@lemmy.sdf.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I still have to find out exactly what they want to watch, if they mean local town meetings or just state capital news. I’ll look for the local station site, but they are pretty rural.

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

@Rozz probably help them set up this? Not so official though so beware. Check their local TV channels to see if they offer a way to stream from somewhere as well.

• Rozz@lemmy.sdf.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Thanks. I’ll investigate. Are there any tv apps that this would work with? I’ll check in see if what they want is available.

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

@Rozz VLC works, but I’m not sure of any app for Android TV (although VLC is available for lots of platforms though, so you might be in luck). Alternatively, you could simply connect a laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable if that supports.