Any low power security cameras that would recommend with night vision and decent quality? Ideally non-smart without a cloud option as I would like to connect it directly to an offline server with a cable or wifi (although not having a wifi might be better)

• Manalith@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

It’s been a minute since I was researching this, but from what I remember, Reolink showed up the most for me.

If you can get your hands on older Ubiquiti camera’s, G1 and G2 I believe, you can install their NVR software on any server.

Or you could always go the route of using a Raspberry Pi and basically making it from scratch, I know pishop has several camera modules and cases with different features, and if you were fine using WiFi, a Pi Zero would be enough to make it work.

Edit: formatting

• ScottE@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

One thing with Reolink, for anyone seeing this, just be sure to get one of the hardwired (for power) cameras. I have a wired Reolink doorbell (which is quite nice) and a solar+battery powered Argus which is practically useless other than as a deterrent. The battery powered devices don’t integrate well, no video streams, and have very weak object detection.

• evasync@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Ubiquiti camera’

are the G1 and g2 discontinued? do you know if the new versions are ‘smart’ (g5)?

When they say AI detection, is it something that requires an internet connection with their cloud?

• commandar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

If you’d like object detection with fully local processing/control, I’d highly recommend looking into Frigate. It uses a Coral TPU (basically a little USB stick that acts as an accelerator for detection) and works extremely well. It also has Home Assistant integration if you’re using that. Frigate works with a wide range of cameras and all traffic stays on your local network.

• Manalith@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They are discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay and whatnot.

I don’t know about the g5 specifically, I’d assume that’s just a fancy way of saying it’s got good motion detection. AI gets thrown around to attract attention

I have a g3 camera and it doesn’t require an internet connection after the initial setup if you create a local login for the NVR, but it does still require a Ubiquiti hardware NVR (the cloud key g2 and some of the routers also work), which could be a turn off for most people