I have read everything I could in the community and just want to make sure I’m clear on a few things and also have a question or two.

Do I understand correctly from the ISP Complaints section that Direct Downloads should not result in a DMCA or problems with your ISP?

Also, if I’m using IDM (Desktop Client & Browser Add-In) with Express VPN to download from streaming sites like KimCartoon, 9anime or a regular site like Internet Archive will the VPN block my ISP from seeing the webpage I’m viewing and the downloads I’m getting with IDM or it’s “clip grabber”?

Finally, do I need to set my VPN to a site outside of the 14 eyes countries for safety when downloading in case of a data leak?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I’ve already download quite a bit from Internet Archive without a VPN and am a bit worried. Thanks so much & Great Job to all who put so much work into this site!

• TDC@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Do I understand correctly from the ISP Complaints section that Direct Downloads should not result in a DMCA or problems with your ISP?

Yep. Though your ISP doesn’t care anyway

Also, if I’m using IDM (Desktop Client & Browser Add-In) with Express VPN to download from streaming sites like KimCartoon, 9anime or a regular site like Internet Archive will the VPN block my ISP from seeing the webpage I’m viewing and the downloads I’m getting with IDM or it’s “clip grabber”?

Your ISP can only see which domain you’re viewing (i.e. Internet Archive) but not which specific page. Since streaming sites like the ones you mentioned aren’t P2P though, you’ll be fine

Finally, do I need to set my VPN to a site outside of the 14 eyes countries for safety when downloading in case of a data leak?

People will tell you yes but honestly, while it certainly doesn’t hurt, it also doesn’t matter. Either your VPN keeps logs and happily hands them out (which, from what I remember, Express VPN doesn’t) or there’s no logs anyway and you can just choose the closest location.

• Rodrigo_de_Mendoza@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Thanks for the detailed response! So, does a VPN do anything to protect you in relation to IDM Direct Downloading/Clip Grabbing Pirate streams or is it just a good idea to have one for anonymity? I’m trying to justify the cost.

• Morbo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’d personally still use a VPN to avoid my ISP knowing how I’m using bandwidth if going to DDL sites or streaming sites where copyrighted materials are offered.

If you go without a VPN, it’s probably pretty low risk. From what I know, ISP’s aren’t hunting their users down over copyright concerns unless they’re compelled to do so. Since torrent swarms reveal the IP of the uploader and downloader, that’s where the big risk lies if you’re not using a VPN since media companies will collect IP addresses from the swarm and send DMCA violation notices to your ISP, who forward the notice along to you.

It would take a lot more effort for media companies and the like to obtain IP addresses that are connecting to DDL or streaming sites and, at that point, it’s probably not worth the time or investment on their part. They’re more interested in going after the uploaders anyways, so from a DDL or streaming site perspective, they care way more about going after the people running the site than the users downloading from it.

I would think the biggest risks to not using a VPN on a DDL or streaming site would be: (1) your ISP logging your traffick and either selling it or being compelled to share it (with media companies, law enforcement, or whoever) down the road; (2) interacting with a honeypot site that’s been taken over by law enforcement who are logging connecting IP’s. I don’t think honeypots are too common in this space but it’s not to say they couldn’t happen. And I do not trust my ISP to keep my data private or to act in my best interests over their own (and I’m pretty sure they’re logging and collecting everything they reasonably can on all their users).

If you plan on downloading more than infrequently, a paid VPN with a good (and proven) no logs policy might be worth it for peace of mind, since you’re specifically paying them for their product, which is privacy.

• Rodrigo_de_Mendoza@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Thank you so much! This is exactly the information I needed to know. You’ve been a great help to know how to safely move forward with my downloading. At this point, I’ve only visited the sites and watched a few things. No harm there but I will definitely get a VPN up and running again. Now I can “Sail The 7 Seas” with peace of mind. Best to you! 😊