• lemmeee@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

The point was that different people have different standards.

Ah, you are right about that. But I do wish that freedom was the main goal for people, because that’s the point of the Free Software movement. Switching to GNU/Linux is inconvenient too and there might be things that a person won’t be able to do on it. Obviously an average person won’t be able to handle a PinePhone, so I don’t have hope they will try (and they probably shouldn’t), but an average GNU/Linux user might. It all depends on how much a person values freedom. But at the same time I understand that getting freedom is usually a gradual journey, which might take a lot of time.

That’s awesome. I rarely answer phone calls anyway, so that doesn’t impact me much. This was purely reflective of the state of things. “Probably fine” and “definitely works” can be a MAJOR difference in the scope of daily driver readiness for most people.

I also don’t answer many phone calls, so it’s possible I was just lucky or haven’t noticed.

The camera on my pinephone actually opens and can take pictures. it just looks terrible. To the degree that I’m at least 75% sure that it’s a sensor issue, and no amount of software tuning is going to bring the sensor up to the level of other phones. Considering my primary use for my phone is taking pictures, “the camera works, but its terrible” doesn’t fit my use case (admittedly, this may be a specific to me use case).

If you are talking about the original PinePhone, then yes, it’s a 5 megapixel camera and it will always be terrible. PinePhone Pro’s camera is much better, though. There seems to be a lot of very technical stuff that goes into making pictures look good. For example stuff like auto-exposure and color correction. Here is a quote from the developer of the Megapixels camera app from the blog post that I linked:

Making a piece of software that dumps camera frames from V4L2 into a file is not very difficult to do, that’s only a few hundred lines for C code. Figuring out why the pictures look cheap is a way harder challenge.

I have a separate camera for taking photos, but I understand the need to have one in a phone that you can take with you everywhere.

Oh. yeah. That’s probably a deal breaker for most people too.

Yeah, push notifications probably won’t be solved for a while. There is some hope, though:

Internal WDS (Wireless Data Service) Client (in BETA!, expect problems)
    Allows you to connect to the internet directly from the modem’s userspace (only IPv4 for now, sorry!)
    Allows for always on networking in the modem no matter if your PinePhone is sleeping

https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pinephone_modem_sdk/releases/tag/0.7.4