The Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri sent an email and said members could not raise money that represents “partisan politics” and must “stay neutral.”

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Gonna put my sister in Boy Scouts cause they allow girls in there since a few years ago now. I wonder if they have any restrictions on foreign aid like this.

• kent_eh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Afaik, the US is the only country still calling it “boy” scouts.

Everywhere else that I’m aware of, it’s just Scouts. And it has been co-ed for at least a couple of decades outside of the US.

• flipht@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Girl scouts may be wrong here, but they’re still by far a better organization than the boy scouts.

There’s something to be said for the skills that are taught and the overall purported ethos, but like the Catholic church, you absolutely cannot trust them to not cover up heinous shit that they’ll allow to continue forever.

If you do, make sure you’re present all the time and be aware that predators have found a home there since their inception.

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Boy scout troops vary from place to place. I’ve been with my troop for many years and we’re great. The next city over, I know a troop that runs things very differently and left. So ymmv