• roscoe@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Am I being deprived of Stamets’ memes because of some thin-skinned power-tripping douche mod?

Time for a new instance. Any recommendations for a stable instance that federates with everyone (except for the worst, of course)?

Edit: If anyone is confused, I meant to reply to this comment that links to Stamets’ recent rundown on the whole kerfuffle.

Edit 2: I just learned something I’d like to share with anyone else that needs to know. If a user (Stamets, for example) is banned on your instance (startrek.website, for example) even here, a community on lemmy.world, you can’t see his posts. Not only that, but if he comments you can’t see any replies to his comment. There are a lot of comments in this thread startrek.website users can’t see.

If you don’t want overzealous admins curating your experience on other instances, you might want to find a new instance.

• Unforeseen@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Sh.itjust.works has been excellent for me since joining. Any outages we have had have been resolved quickly and I have yet to see any spam.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Well, you can’t see me at all but I’d obviously recommend lemmy.world personally although lemmy.dbzer0.com is a close second. I’ve heard mixed things about lemm.ee’s administration. sh.itjust.works is pretty good for the most part. I’ve got some personal experience with a couple of admins who are really kind people who work way too hard.

• Chetzemoka@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I just jumped over to world because of all this. That makes my third instance in less than a year after leaving kbin.social for startrek land a few months ago. Lemmy is a little exhausting.

• roscoe@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

But at least that’s an option. There is no non-spez instance of reddit, non-musk instance of twitter, or non-zuck instance of meta-stuff to jump to.

I took both of the other respondents suggestions. It only took a few minutes to get approved at both and now I can see Car Talk With Martok again.

I didn’t even know that the admin of my instance banning someone would prevent me from seeing posts made in another instance.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

And that is why I made that enormous post.

If he wanted to just privately throw a fit about me, fine. He reports me to unrelated admins and complains about perfectly fine toots? Whatever. I can eat that. What infuriated me was him going “I don’t like you so I am going to deny everyone on my platform seeing you.”

Frankly it’s just pathetic piss baby behavior. I’m sorry that his shittiness is having to contribute to you jumping around instances. Genuinely.

• roscoe@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Hopefully other users on startrek.website figure it out. I assumed I would see every post and comment posted on tenforward unless it was removed by lemmy.world admins or tenforward mods.

It’s a bit annoying that an admin can curate my experience on other instances. But now I know to be on the lookout for it.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

If the admins ever made a move over there to restrict more mods/posters of this community then honestly we would probably just alter the name of the community or sidebar or something so that the community itself would also be informing on what happened. I’m just not about to do it for my ass alone. Not nearly that egotistical lol

Yeah instance bans are heavy and you need to be able to back it up with something. Not just “He was mean to me! Wahhh!”

Honestly I still kinda feel like a dick even making comments like that about the admins over there. I really don’t want to cause shit and have all this happen. I just wanted to post memes to Risa and have everyone be chill and happy. Would have been more than fine to continue with that blissful existence. Do I mind modding? No. Do I want to? No. But now I’ve seen what it’s like when people don’t care and I don’t want to leave communities I care about to that kind of mindset. So I’ll stay around for now. Although the mods we have here are all top tier and great people.

• roscoe@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  4 months ago

Yeah, if someone wants to remove posts/comments on their community, even for petty reasons, whatever, it’s your community. If we don’t like it, we can move.

But an admin saying no one on their instance can see an instance/community/user should be reserved for extreme cases, like csam or nazi shit. Hurt feelings or contentious disagreements, even if you really think the other person is being a dick, isn’t enough to justify that.

• Chetzemoka@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Hey man, not your fault. Petty little people who enjoy being tyrants over small, meaningless fiefdoms is an unfortunate theme of my life recently.

I’m just here for the memes and appreciate your efforts.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Considering how much Paramount+ is charging- $11.99/mo for no ads- when they have a fraction of the content of, for example, Peacock, which costs the same… I don’t blame anyone for pirating Star Trek shows at this point.

And, of course, on top of that, Star Trek is spread across multiple streaming services and you would have to subscribe to them all and spend a ton of money if you wanted to watch it all.

Most Star Trek is on Paramount+. But if you want to watch Prodigy? You need Netflix. Want to watch the TOS and TNG movies? You need Max. But hey, you can watch JJ “Trek” on Paramount+ instead of First Contact or Wrath of Khan. If you really want to.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zipOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

The admins and mods of that instance are 100% going to prison or getting heavily fined. Stay away or at least access it via Tor.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

The admins and mods of that instance are 100% going to prison or getting heavily fined.

And why would that be?

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

Oh no I know you didn’t mean me, no worries. I was just curious. I’ve heard this said but I’ve also heard this said for months. Things going well so far.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

What I predict is that it will slowly grow and then at some point it will get shutdown. It might be 6 months or it might be 6 years. Its hard to say.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

r/piracy still survives to this day, so I very very highly doubt that. The police don’t care about people consuming pirated media or discussing it, they want to catch the people making the cracks

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    4 months ago

Reddit has a dedicated legal team. Do you? Its just a matter of time before it gets shutdown.

• kellyaster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

If a user (Stamets, for example) is banned on your instance (startrek.website, for example) even here, a community on lemmy.world, you can’t see his posts. Not only that, but if he comments you can’t see any replies to his comment. There are a lot of comments in this thread startrek.website users can’t see.

Jeez, that is…wow. A shitty mod can really wreck content visibility on the 'verse if they’re feeling particularly shitty.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Along with what Stamets already said, and I hope he doesn’t mind if he speaks on his behalf, he will be rather occupied for the foreseeable future- at least in the short term- and will be posting fewer memes during that time. But eventually, he’ll be back to his usual excellent post frequency and hopefully the rest of us mods can do what we can to fill the hole in his absence. And we’ll sure miss him while he’s busy!

Let me know if you want me to delete this, Stamets. I thought letting people know they won’t see as much of you as usual for a while would be okay, so I hope you’ll be okay with me revealing that without giving any personal details. Especially since we all love you and your posts and I don’t want people thinking what OP is thinking and getting concerned.

(To clarify, nothing dire is happening with Stamets, he’ll just be occupied with things other than Lemmy.)

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Oh nah, you’re fine. No need to worry about that. Also that really did sound dire until that last line lol

I’m moving. That’s all <3

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Cool, I didn’t want to say why you were going to be occupied just in case you didn’t want that detail out. And if I didn’t say this to you before, good luck with the move and we’ll see you soon!

• Stamets@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

No worries. I appreciate the discretion, my friend. And I’ll need it! Spending the week (starting Tuesday) with my homie and future roomie so we will see how it goes.