Google suspends Gemini from making AI images of people after a backlash complaining it was ‘woke’::After users complained Google’s Gemini had gone “woke,” the company said it will pause the image-generating feature of people while working on fixes.

• Bloodh0undJohnson@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

To be fair, the aggrieved images generated by the AI included people of various ethnicity pictured as Nazi soldiers.

I don’t know though… to me, it seems weird that the criticism is focused on “wokeness” and misguided inclusivity. Shouldn’t people be more concerned about these images being the result of demoing a technology for falsifying historic records in a hitherto unthinkable scale?

• TheDonkerZ@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

There was an article posted here yesterday that said this was the problem.

Now that Google has taken action to help alleviate the issue, we now have the problem of “wokeness”.

Any and all issues calling out wokeness as part of any problem immediately loses all credibility to me. If wanting to include other ethnicities in something, even if it’s just to make the people with the money look better, I’m all for it.

Being inclusive in any way is league’s better than the alternatives.

• Bloodh0undJohnson@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Any and all issues calling out wokeness as part of any problem immediately loses all credibility to me.

Agree.

If wanting to include other ethnicities in something, even if it’s just to make the people with the money look better, I’m all for it.

Disagree, it’s reasonable to criticize green, pink, whathaveyou washing even if there are many other worse things a company can do (discrimination, etc). I also think it’s reasonable to find it offensive to depict Nazi Germany as a beacon of inclusivity.

• capital@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

If wanting to include other ethnicities in something, even if it’s just to make the people with the money look better, I’m all for it.

“This is great, I can’t wait to start working on projects”

“Oh, we didn’t hire you because of your potential to actually contribute. We just needed a black one to make us look good”

See how stupid that is?

Call me crazy but I think people should be hired, find mates/friends, and associate with people based on who they are, not what color their skin is.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

But they are falsifying historically generated images because of wokeness. That’s the cause. Insertion of diversity when it shouldn’t be there.