• Maalus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Exactly. This type of uncertainty in life isn’t fun. Not communicating or setting expectations about a relationship, it’s just awful. I’d understand not marrying, not having children if it was discussed beforehand and agreed to. But this whole spiel of “I don’t really care about you, you could leave at any time” or “we are not dating”, is very manipulative.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Its deliberately pitched as ironic. A lot of this “will we / won’t we” happens in the first few months, and the author has stretched it for comic effect to juxtapose it with the “time flies” feeling old couples can have looking backwards.

For folks who are used to meeting, dating, and breaking up every few months, a committed relationship can come as something of a shock. I was in and out of relationships for most of my twenties, and I definitely sympathize with the first - like - row of these panels. Finding myself in a happy, committed relationship one day, with a partner who felt the same way was surprising.

But as soon as you’re moved in together, its pretty plainly established as serious.