I saw people going on about how great BG3 is on this site, so I thought I’d check out a let’s play to see what all the fuss was about. I immediately fell in love with the graphics and the mechanics, such as the classes, races, spells, dice etc, but I disliked the emphasis on gore/horror in the game, and I know I wouldn’t enjoy playing a game with that whole brain horror thing going on. Not to mention the price and storage requirements being excessive. (150GB!)

So, bearing in mind that, is there a game that would match my criteria, and if not, what do you think comes closest?

• Sgagvefey@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Are you playing with a controller or M/KB?

There are plenty of other CRPGs (good search term) that are fine with a mouse/keyboard. Larian kind of stands alone in terms of how well they handle with a controller though. Divinity Original Sin 2 is still dark, but not as in your face about it.

Other terms that have similar battles (but generally more closed maps) are tactical RPGs, strategy RPGs, turn based tactics or turn based strategy. I can’t break down the lines between any of those sub-genres, but they’re all kind of in the neighborhood. A lot of them are also dark, though.

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I use mouse and keyboard, so I don’t need to worry about console support. Thanks for the suggestions!