• tsonfeir@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s funny you say this, because my junior is complaining that I micromanage too much. I prefer to make the critical decisions. Whenever I don’t make them, I end up putting out fires.

I tell them that and they respond, how am I supposed to learn if I can’t make mistakes?

Then I remind them they can fuck up all they want in the dev env.

• Aiyub@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

For me it was reverse. When I was a junior I was reviewing PRs from the seniors and it couldn’t have possibly been tested to work.

The seniors were super lazy and around half the PRs would have broken production.

Seniority often comes from years of work and not knowledge.

• tsonfeir@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I try hard not to be an asshole at work. I also produce the most code. When my junior came on I told them that I’m here to help, and I want them to ask dumb questions instead of struggle. I also told them that I make mistakes, and they should call me on my shit—which they looove to do, brat.

• tsonfeir@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Yes. I think you may have misunderstood my meaning. Unless you’re just being pedantic—which I have no interest in.

• Knock_Knock_Lemmy_In@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Probably my misunderstanding. The way it is written it sounds like juniors use the dev env and seniors get their decisions implemented directly in prod.

• Knock_Knock_Lemmy_In@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  4 months ago

From what code to write, to what language to use, to how things will integrate.

Even high level architectural decisions need to be tested in dev first.

Basically I can’t see what couldn’t be run through dev first?

• tsonfeir@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    4 months ago

Just because code works in dev doesn’t mean it’s going to be the right thing for production. I caught that little bastard making 1000 db queries in a loop one time, instead of taking the time to make it efficient. Technically it worked. And, because dev has no server load, it was relatively quick.