• go_go_gadget@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Exactly. It’s just Boomers who are obsessed with getting their way. Then they turn around and tell us that we don’t know how to compromise. The best examples they have about “compromises” they have made are things like “Biden stood with a picket line!” or “He tried for student loan forgiveness.” They genuinely feel like those were material compromises on their part despite neither one having any impact on their lives in any way. It’s fucking pathetic.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Centrist Democrats didn’t want student loan forgiveness because of course they didn’t, while progressives wanted student loan forgiveness because it helps people. Biden listened to progressives. When the Supreme Court agreed with Centrist Democrats and struck down Biden’s first attempt at forgiveness, he kept trying.

I’ve been screaming for years that Democrats need to listen to progressives and not give up forever at the first setback. Biden did exactly what I wanted on student loans: he listened to progressives and kept trying. I cannot fault him on that issue.

There’s a whole host of other issues I absolutely will fault him for. I agree with your other example. Centrist Democrats keep trying to give Biden sole credit for the UAW’s hard work because he held a photo op.

• go_go_gadget@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

If Biden had succeeded at student loan forgiveness that would mean moderates gave something up. He didn’t and thus it’s ridiculous to me they try to act like that’s a compromise. It was an attempt at a compromise which failed.